Re: [MedievalSawdust] Hello--New to group

  • leaking pen
    Message 1 of 17 , Jun 25, 2008
      Thats a very interesting read. blacksmithing is an interest of mine
      that i want to get into, but beyond making a few small things with
      modern materials for friends, ive not the time or money. YET.

      now then

      I thought of coopering up a tub for quenching water, but I've never done
      cooperage and wooden tubs weigh quite a bit, so I may just dig a hole and
      line it with a piece of hide. (Documentable back to the Mesolithic!)

      if youre using some kind of wheelbarrow, why wouldnt the barrow do
      double duty? empty it out, take the leather cover and line it with
      it, and boom, wooden tub. I think a lot of things would do double
      duty in such a situation.

    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 17 , Jun 26, 2008
        I've also wanted to "bang on metal" on occassion....nothing long-term, mind you, just the occassional piece that is needed or an idea that needs investigating. This is probably a "period pursuit" as much as modern. Not every rural person "runs to a carpenter" every time he needs something cobbled together, nor is he a combination carpenter-blacksmith-electrician-etc. Most likely (very hard to document) the average person (middle class?) would bang out something that would work - especially if it was a small job or he didn't have the coin to run over to the blacksmith.

        Concerning the wheelbarrow - double-duty was a good idea. St Roy made a wheelbarrow over the course of two shows that would pass for period. I found a source for several metals including cold-rolled steel (for the tyre) and planned to make an overhead, hanging pot holder for the kitchen since Harbor Freight has decided not to carry them any more.

        leaking pen <itsatrap@...> wrote:
        Thats a very interesting read. blacksmithing is an interest of mine that i want to get into, but beyond making a few small things with modern materials for friends, ive not the time or money. YET.

        if youre using some kind of wheelbarrow, why wouldnt the barrow do
        double duty? empty it out, take the leather cover and line it with it, and boom, wooden tub. I think a lot of things would do double duty in such a situation.
        .

        RdA
        Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

      • conradh@efn.org
        Message 3 of 17 , Jun 26, 2008
          On Thu, June 26, 2008 4:29 am, Rebekah d'Avignon wrote:
          > I've also wanted to "bang on metal" on occassion....nothing long-term,
          > mind you, just the occassional piece that is needed or an idea that needs
          > investigating. This is probably a "period pursuit" as much as modern. Not
          > every rural person "runs to a carpenter" every time he needs something
          > cobbled together, nor is he a combination
          > carpenter-blacksmith-electrician-etc. Most likely (very hard to document)
          > the average person (middle class?) would bang out something that would
          > work - especially if it was a small job or he didn't have the coin to run
          > over to the blacksmith.

          Depends on when and where you were. In all areas, the more rural you were
          the more likely the attitude you mention. In medieval European towns,
          guilds often enforced trade secrets and exclusive jurisdiction over
          products and tools and training. "Right of search" when granted a guild
          gave it what amounts to a search warrant to go through people's shops and
          confiscate products that did not meet guild standards or were produced in
          bootleg fashion. There were places on the Continent where it was
          literally against the law for anyone outside the guild to cut a mortise or
          own a plane.

          With blacksmithing in particular, the equipment was very specialized and
          expensive in period, which made it hard for amateurs. Metal, especially
          carbon steel, was expensive enough to be a major barrier for a journeyman
          smith who wanted a shop of his own. This is reflected in the
          near-universal custom of designing tools where a small strip (the "bit")
          of carbon steel was forge-welded to a larger piece of wrought iron to make
          an axe head, a chisel or even a plane iron. (Fine Japanese tools are
          still made this way).

          Because even the wrought iron was expensive, we see the smiths going to a
          lot of extra work to adapt the tool to a wooden handle--often as great a
          proportion of wood to metal in the tool as possible--such a thing as a
          forge-welded socket for a chisel handle just about triples the work
          involved in making a functional chisel compared to simply making the whole
          thing from iron and steel!

          Even in Scandinavia, where self-reliance was valued and guilds much
          weaker, blacksmithing was a specialty. There every farmstead was expected
          to have a smithy, even if no one there knew the craft. The smiths
          traveled about the district for part of the year, and didn't have to carry
          so much because the forge, anvil, water tub and charcoal supply was there
          at each farm. (The famous Mastermyr box of tools and scrap and repair
          projects was apparently lost by such a traveling smith while crossing a
          lake; as lakes do, it gradually silted up, was turned into a farm field,
          and a thousand years or so later a plow snagged the box.) In this area,
          there would be no legal repercussions if some farmer did know how to do
          his own smithing, but if he did the neighbors would probably start
          bringing work to him, and pretty soon he'd be another part-time
          farmer/smith, just like the Mastermyr guy.

          One place where I know your model fits well is rural America from Colonial
          times on. Maybe one farm in four or five had someone who could do basic
          ironwork, and had a few tools for it. He'd shoe his horses, draw out his
          plowshare to extend its life, make simple tool repairs. Often he'd do a
          bit for the neighbors too. When he got a job that was beyond his simple
          skills and few tools, it would go off to the full-time smith a few miles
          away. But that took time and money (and then and now, farm tools always
          crap out at busy times of year!) so there was incentive to do the work
          yourself if you could. This self-reliant attitude clashed with British
          mercantilist politics, which wanted a monopoly of manufacturing skills
          concentrated in the mother country. All sorts of taxes and laws tried to
          restrict ironwork to basic repairs, as opposed to cottage-industry
          production of nails, hardware, guns and so on. American rural
          stubbornness eventually prevailed, with nailmakers as with whiskey makers,
          but it was a struggle. By colonial American times, however, iron was at
          least an order of magnitude cheaper in real terms than it had been in the
          early Middle Ages. If an American-type handyman situation occurred back
          in Medieval times, I would bet on finding it in the fringe areas more than
          the Continental core. Places such as Scandinavia and the Celtic areas,
          perhaps, where self-reliance and general bloody-mindedness were valued and
          authority was thin on the ground.

          Whether this actually happened here and there I don't know. It could have.

          > Concerning the wheelbarrow - double-duty was a good idea. St Roy made a
          > wheelbarrow over the course of two shows that would pass for period. I
          > found a source for several metals including cold-rolled steel (for the
          > tyre) and planned to make an overhead, hanging pot holder for the kitchen
          > since Harbor Freight has decided not to carry them any more.

          A nice project. I have a half-finished one in my smithy right now I need
          to finish up in time for the fair in a couple weeks. :-)

          > if youre using some kind of wheelbarrow, why wouldnt the barrow do double
          > duty? empty it out, take the leather cover and line it with it, and boom,
          > wooden tub. I think a lot of things would do double duty in such a
          > situation.

          In my plan, I'm hoping the barrow can serve as the foundation for the
          bellows and forge, which otherwise would have to be an extra bench or
          table, plus overhead rigging for the bellows levers. I'm basically making
          a portable framework for the heart of the shop, and overbuilding it enough
          that it can carry the anvil/block, a toolbox and a sack of charcoal as
          well. It's a cool-looking thing on paper; we'll see if the result is
          anything a mortal can lift and move!

          If the dream of having the whole shop on a barrow, with a fire going ten
          minutes after dropping the barrow handles, turns out to be too much to
          hope for, the barrow will become a general hauler and the smithy will be
          set up piece by piece. (This of course may have been how some smiths
          moved their stuff out to tourneys and the like in period, too.)

          Ulfhedinn
        • conradh@efn.org
          Message 4 of 17 , Jun 28, 2008
            On Wed, June 25, 2008 6:39 pm, Jeff Johnson wrote:
            > Color me intrigued... Got photos of the tools?

            Just getting a website together for them. If you don't mind a few typos I
            haven't cleaned up yet, the part that shows the joiner's shop tools is up.
            The URL is www.freewebs.com/ulfhedins/index%2D2.htm

            I plan to have another page for the portable smithy, as it comes together,
            and of course pages for other projects.

            Ulfhedinn

            >> I'm a blacksmith who's getting interested in woodworking, from the
            >> toolmaking side. I've always made my own hammer handles and such, but
            >> tried my hand at making planes and found it fascinating. So now
            > I've set
            >
            >> myself a couple of ambitchious projects, like a period _portable_
            >> blacksmith shop, hopefully deliverable on a long Agricola-style open
            >> wheelbarrow in one trip by tired old me.
            >>
            >> The other is to make working replicas of the tools shown in Jean
            >> Bourdichon's 1500 picture of the carver-cabinetmaker. So far I've
            >>
            > done a
            >> few simple chisels and gouges, and the big jointer plane that the guy
            >> in the picture is using. That turned out well, in air-dried ash that
            >> has been pretty stable, with hand-forged blade and crosspin of OCS
            > steel. It
            >> works fine for edge-jointing, but surfacing (like the guy in the
            >> picture is doing) takes a very careful setting of the blade. Put down a
            >> hair
            > more
            >> than the finest shaving, and that broad blade will stop you dead!
            > Perhaps
            >
            >> if you trained a gorilla to use a push stick.... Anyway, learning
            > things
            >> like that is what period projects are about for me.
            >>
            >> As a smith, I specialize in hardware and housewares, including door and
            >> chest hinges, box irons, handles, latches, brackets, and of course
            >> toolmaking. I'm open to custom orders from and interesting
            > collaborations
            >> with woodworkers, especially the large number who know cool stuff that
            >> don't.
            >>
            >> I live in Adiantum in AnTir, which I helped found lo these 35 years
            >> ago.
            >>
            >> Looking forward to learning more from folk here!
            >>

            >> Ulfhedinn inn vegfarandi
            >>

            >> mka Conrad Hodson

          • julian wilson
            Message 5 of 17 , Jun 30, 2008
              I tried cutting and pasting - and freewebs can't find that page. Would you please check it and re-post the URLfor us, please?
              Matthew Baker,
              "old" Jersey

              --- On Sat, 28/6/08, conradh@... <conradh@...> wrote:

              On Wed, June 25, 2008 6:39 pm, Jeff Johnson wrote:
              > Color me intrigued... Got photos of the tools?

              Just getting a website together for them. If you don't mind a few typos I
              haven't cleaned up yet, the part that shows the joiner's shop tools is up.
              The URL is www.freewebs. com/ulfhedins/ index%2D2. htm

              I plan to have another page for the portable smithy, as it comes together,
              and of course pages for other projects.

              Ulfhedinn
            • Wolf
              Message 6 of 17 , Jun 30, 2008
                http://www.freewebs.com/ulfhedins/index-2.htm

                (there's a few random spaces that get in the way <g>)

                Wolf

                On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 21:50 +0000, julian wilson wrote:
                > I tried cutting and pasting - and freewebs can't find that page. Would
                > you please check it and re-post the URLfor us, please?
                > Matthew Baker,
                > "old" Jersey
                >
                > --- On Sat, 28/6/08, conradh@... <conradh@...> wrote:
                >
                > On Wed, June 25, 2008 6:39 pm, Jeff Johnson wrote:
                > > Color me intrigued... Got photos of the tools?
                >
                > Just getting a website together for them. If you don't mind a few
                > typos I
                > haven't cleaned up yet, the part that shows the joiner's shop tools is
                > up.
                > The URL is www.freewebs. com/ulfhedins/ index%2D2. htm
                >
                > I plan to have another page for the portable smithy, as it comes
                > together,
                > and of course pages for other projects.
                >
                > Ulfhedinn

              • scott gates
                Message 7 of 17 , Jun 30, 2008
                  So did you have any surviving tools to base the sizes off of?
                  Or did you base them on scale considering the size of an average French craftsman of the time?
                  That planer looks like once you have learned that shallow is the only to way to use it, it might be very efficient.
                  It certainly is a beautiful piece of work.

                  Evil is, as Evil does

                  To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
                  From: wolfeyes@...
                  Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2008 15:25:07 -0700
                  Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] URL doesn't work for me - was - Bourdichon Shop replica tool pix

                  http://www.freewebs .com/ulfhedins/ index-2.htm

                  (there's a few random spaces that get in the way <g>)

                  Wolf

                  On Mon, 2008-06-30 at 21:50 +0000, julian wilson wrote:
                  > I tried cutting and pasting - and freewebs can't find that page. Would
                  > you please check it and re-post the URLfor us, please?
                  > Matthew Baker,
                  > "old" Jersey
                  >
                  > --- On Sat, 28/6/08, conradh@efn. org <conradh@efn. org> wrote:
                  >
                  > On Wed, June 25, 2008 6:39 pm, Jeff Johnson wrote:
                  > > Color me intrigued... Got photos of the tools?
                  >
                  > Just getting a website together for them. If you don't mind a few
                  > typos I
                  > haven't cleaned up yet, the part that shows the joiner's shop tools is
                  > up.
                  > The URL is www.freewebs. com/ulfhedins/ index%2D2. htm
                  >
                  > I plan to have another page for the portable smithy, as it comes
                  > together,
                  > and of course pages for other projects.
                  >
                  > Ulfhedinn

                  Need to know now? Get instant answers with Windows Live Messenger. IM on your terms.
                • conradh@efn.org
                  Message 8 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
                    On Mon, June 30, 2008 3:25 pm, Wolf wrote:
                    > http://www.freewebs.com/ulfhedins/index-2.htm
                    >

                    > (there's a few random spaces that get in the way <g>)
                    >

                    > Wolf

                    Thanks, Wolf. Dunno why those spaces were there--I don't think I typed
                    them. But my partner's computer sometimes gives you messages with these
                    little extras!

                    Ulfhedinn
                  • conradh@efn.org
                    Message 9 of 17 , Jul 1, 2008
                      On Mon, June 30, 2008 4:40 pm, scott gates wrote:

                      > So did you have any surviving tools to base the sizes off of?
                      > Or did you base them on scale considering the size of an average French
                      > craftsman of the time? That planer looks like once you have learned that
                      > shallow is the only to way to use it, it might be very efficient. It
                      > certainly is a beautiful piece of work.

                      Thank you! It was a fun project, and I'm looking forward to doing the
                      smaller plane. I think that will be more challenging even though easier
                      to pick up--the front tapers to make the horn, and I haven't done that
                      sort of spiral carving. I've already made the iron--of course, that's the
                      easy part! :-)

                      Surviving tools seem to be all sorts of sizes, within the limits of human
                      hands of course. This jointer plane is pushing those limits, IMHO.

                      I'm taking all my sizes off the artwork. Look at his hand width--that
                      plane is wider, perhaps half again as wide. So I called that five inches.
                      The length is from his elbow-to-fingertip distance. ISTR that medieval
                      Frenchmen averaged a little smaller than I am, but the plane is about as
                      big on me as the one in the picture is on him, or perhaps slightly
                      smaller.

                      Ulfhedinn
                    • Jeff Johnson
                      Message 10 of 17 , Jul 3, 2008
                        That's a great looking plane and drill, Ulfhedinn. I'm a woodworker
                        who's been looking at getting into blacksmithing from a toolmaking
                        side. My intent has been to do the exact same project you are working
                        on (curses, scooped again!).

                        Jeff J./(SCA)Geoff B.

                      • conradh@efn.org
                        Message 11 of 17 , Jul 3, 2008
                          On Thu, July 3, 2008 2:42 pm, Jeff Johnson wrote:
                          > That's a great looking plane and drill, Ulfhedinn. I'm a woodworker
                          > who's been looking at getting into blacksmithing from a toolmaking side. My
                          > intent has been to do the exact same project you are working on (curses,
                          > scooped again!).

                          Thanks for the kind words. Of course, you could say we'd both been
                          scooped about 500 years ago by one or more French craftsmen, but that kind
                          of goes with replication!

                          I don't see how the world would be harmed by two good sets of these tools,
                          either. Especially if we live on opposite sides of the continent or
                          something like that. OTOH, if you live nearby, perhaps we could
                          collaborate. I'm a long way from finished on this, and knowing me it
                          could take years.

                          Speaking of collaboration, I'd welcome a chance to brainstorm details of
                          this drawing with someone who shares my interest in it. Some of my
                          interpretations are guesswork, and someone else might have an very useful
                          insight I haven't thought of myself.

                          Also, I've been working from a full-page B&W illo in the Metropolitan
                          Museum's _Secular Spirit_ book. I know the original was in color; I've
                          seen a small version on the Net, but haven't been able to find a high-res
                          copy. If you have or can find such a thing, it might settle several
                          questions I've had about materials, construction details, etc.

                          If you go ahead making some of these tools yourself, I'd be glad to share
                          details of what I've already done, if that would be helpful. A book I
                          found extremely helpful was Alan Moore and Musaemura Sithole's _How to
                          Make Carpentry Tools_, Intermediate Technology Publications ltd, London,
                          1997. The ISBN is 1-85339-406-8 and you can order it online from Powells
                          Books in Portland.

                          They also have a companion volume, _Basic Blacksmithing_, by Harries and
                          Heer. These are some of the best how-tos I've ever read--they include
                          _all_ the steps in a way most books do not. They are written for village
                          development teachers in Africa, and they assume that all wood needs to be
                          sized and squared, and that all metal is scrounged not bought. They
                          casually mention the use of old motor oil for a quench "if it is available
                          in your area" and say the same thing about old oil drums. Have you ever
                          been so far out in the boondocks that they don't have old oil drums? Or
                          motor vehicles of any kind? Their first illustration of how to make a
                          bellows shows a goat carcass hung up with a rope, and marked to show where
                          you cut the skin. The skin is filled with sand and hung up in the sun,
                          rubbed with vegetable oil and tenderized with a stick. When they say
                          "basic" they really mean it.

                          Another useful book is _Wooden Planes and how to Make Them_, by Perch and
                          Lee, Algrove Publishing, Almonte, Ontario, 2001. ISBN 1-894572-49-1.

                          Farid ther vel ok heill,

                          Ulfhedinn
                        • Jeff Johnson
                          Message 12 of 17 , Jul 4, 2008
                            Ulfhedinn

                            Thanks for the pointers. I've picked up a couple of plane books and a
                            friend is going to teach me smithing at his place, but I'll pick up
                            the books you mention to help get going. I plan on taking years on
                            this project as well.

                            I suspect that you are correct about not being the first to do this
                            project. And we certainly don't conflict, with me being in Maryland.
                            As with the Mastermyr chest, it's enticing in it's completeness. I can
                            help with getting a better image. Here's a link to a place that sells
                            copies of the image:

                            http://tiny.cc/93a86

                            My wife bought me a small poster from this place last year. I might be
                            able to scan some portions of it for better study.

                            Regards,

                            Jeff/Geoff