RE: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Oil for cutting boards - cleaning boards

  • logan
    Message 1 of 12 , Jun 23, 2008

      ummmm nothing you’ve said disagrees with me.

      logan

      .

      "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
      Harry S Truman

      "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

      Niccolo Machiavelli

      www.ebonwoulfe.com

      Actually, somebody did a study on this....comparing bacterialogic growth on wooden boards vs acrylic and glass boards. The argument being that the acrylic and glass wouldn't allow the bacteria to survive. Um....surprise - bacteria had the shortest survival/growth rate on wood. Common sense, however, says to wash it.

      logan <logan@ebonwoulfe. com> wrote:

      probably not bleach but rather something like sterilox.  most are citric acid based.  the simplest way to clean a board is to wet it then pour salt on it, scrub, then let it sit for 30 minutes.  then scrub again with fresh hot water.  a bleach dilution works as well, as does water above 140 degrees.

      regards

      logan

      "I never did give them hell. I just told the truth, and they thought it was hell."
      Harry S Truman

      "If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared"

      Niccolo Machiavelli

      .

      RdA

      Tools alone do not a craftsman make.