Milk Paint

  • Matt H
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 18, 2008
      Greetings all,

      Does any one have any experience or recommendations with Milk Paint?
      I have tried to make some from scratch but I am not sure the end
      result was what I really wanted. Therefore I decided to get one of the
      commercial mixes and make up a batch for comparison. My web surfing
      came up with several options like "The Real Milk Paint Company" and
      "Old Fashion Milk Paint" both are available from Woodcraft as well as
      direct order. Has anyone used thees and what was your preference?

      Thanks,
      Mateusz z Plocka
      Dragons Laire
      An Tir
    • Abrahe çaragoça
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 18, 2008
        I've been wanting to get some Milk Paint, myself, for a while now; but, I haven't had the chance.  The latest issue of Fine Woodworking Magazine (Aug 2008, pg. 76) has an article on Milk Paint.  Those were the companies that they cited in the article to obtain Milk Paint.

        Abrahe

        --
        Abrahe berengarii de girona

        Lealtad me Ata,

        Senyor Abrahe çaragoça
        Pron: Ah-brā Sair-uh-go-sa

        Or, on a fess dovetailed gules a drawknife Or

        MKA:  Joel G. Viney

        Aprentice à Mistress Isolde de la Vielle a Roue

        abrahecaragoca@...

        Blatha an Oir, An Tir

        Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?
        ----------

        This e-mail made with 100% Recycled Electrons
        Reclaim Your Inbox!

      • Baron Otto
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 18, 2008

          I have used milk paints on several project. The one I have used were the “Old Fashion Milk Paint”.

          I like the finish that they produce.

          Otto

          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 19, 2008
            Mateusz wrote:

            > Does any one have any experience or recommendations with Milk Paint?
            > I have tried to make some from scratch but I am not sure the end
            > result was what I really wanted. Therefore I decided to get one of the
            > commercial mixes and make up a batch for comparison. My web surfing
            > came up with several options like "The Real Milk Paint Company" and
            > "Old Fashion Milk Paint" both are available from Woodcraft as well as
            > direct order. Has anyone used thees and what was your preference?

            First, congratulations on trying to make it from scratch ... that's more
            than I've cared to attempt.

            I've used the "Real Milk Paint Company" Paint on several of my projects.
            I got it from our Woodcraft outlet here in Sacramento. It sticks well
            (and even better with the additives that you can buy with the paint). It
            water-spots alarmingly easily, so if you're using it for tourney
            furniture you still have to install some sort of water barrier like
            linseed oil or varnish over it.

            --Johann von Drachenfels
            West Kingdom
          • Matt Henson
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 19, 2008
              Thank you, for your comments. I ran out and bought the magazine and
              read the article and examined the photos closely. So now I have more of
              a clue. you see I was expecting a more opaque finish than what I got.

              I also learned that you need to use fresher linseed oil than what I
              had. I really didn't know that linseed oil could go bad. but Duh if I
              had thought about it... The last time I used that can was about 5 yrs
              ago. I now have a new can.

              Mateusz

              --- Abrahe çaragoça <abrahecaragoca@...> wrote:

              > I've been wanting to get some Milk Paint, myself, for a while now;
              > but,
              > I haven't had the chance. The latest issue of Fine Woodworking
              > Magazine
              > (Aug 2008, pg. 76) has an article on Milk Paint. Those were the
              > companies that they cited in the article to obtain Milk Paint.
              >
              > Abrahe
            • Matt Henson
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 19, 2008
                Thank you for the recommendation.

                Mateusz

                --- Baron Otto <RobertEDay@...> wrote:

                > I have used milk paints on several project. The one I have used were
                > the
                > "Old Fashion Milk Paint".
                >
                > I like the finish that they produce.
                >

                > Otto
              • Matt Henson
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 19, 2008
                  Thank you for your recommendation.

                  So far I got one recommendation for each company and after reading the
                  FW article I think that I will have to get the same color from each
                  company and do some test pieces.

                  The formula that I tried from scratch was not to hard but a great
                  learning experience. I still have an almost full 5 pound bag of lime so
                  I will try and do some test pieces with home made in the same color as
                  well. Since I will be using the milk paint on tourney pieces I will
                  topcoat with an acrylic.

                  Thank for the comments

                  Mateusz

                  --- John LaTorre <jlatorre@...> wrote:

                  > Mateusz wrote:
                  >

                  > > Does any one have any experience or recommendations with Milk
                  > Paint?
                • Eric Hess
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 20, 2008
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, John LaTorre <jlatorre@...>
                    wrote:

                    > First, congratulations on trying to make it from scratch ... that's
                    more
                    > than I've cared to attempt.
                    >
                    > I've used the "Real Milk Paint Company" Paint on several of my
                    projects.
                    > I got it from our Woodcraft outlet here in Sacramento. It sticks
                    well
                    > (and even better with the additives that you can buy with the
                    paint). It
                    > water-spots alarmingly easily, so if you're using it for tourney
                    > furniture you still have to install some sort of water barrier like
                    > linseed oil or varnish over it.
                    >
                    > --Johann von Drachenfels
                    > West Kingdom

                    I don't know if you're aware or not, but we carry a topcoat for milk
                    paints from the same company here at Woodcraft. I got some of it
                    last week, and I'll be trying it out in the relatively near future,
                    and I'll pass along how it deals with water spots and how the finish
                    looks after its application.
                    Eric Hess
                  • Jeff Johnson
                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 25, 2008
                      Plain ole' boiled linseed atop milk paint has worked very well for me.

                      Geoff B.