Re: [MedievalSawdust] Ripping board by hand

  • Dave Ordway
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008
      I have been using "Japanese" style pull saws for years now and have found no hand saw to be their equal.  A good starter can be found in Lowes under the name of "Bear Saw".  Cost around twenty bucks.  They have several varieties.  Start with the combination model.  It's a good saw for rip and crosscuts.  It takes some practice getting used to the flexibility of the blade.  I have learned to go slow and resist the urge to rip the material at the speed that the saw will accommodate.  Keep your hands clear.  The blade will flex and likes to seek a finger or the back of the hand upon occasion.  Smooth and steady is the key.  Let the saw do the work and you will be amazed at how fast it accomplishes it.  If the blade vibrates, you're moving to fast.  My wife bought me a combination saw made in Japan a couple of years ago as a gift.  I still cringe every time I use it.  It should be on display with other replicas of cutting utensils but it's just too damn nice to let sit.

      Lagerstein

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008

        Along with the collected works of St. Roy, there is another list you really should check out (If you’re not already subscribed): Oldtools.  This garrulous gathering of gregarious Galoots got going lo these many years ago as an offshoot of rec.woodworking.  More than a few of the members have already gone down the quiet path (and most of the rest are well down the slippery slope), and the collective wisdom of the porch is impressive.  To subscribe, go to http://ruckus.law.cornell.edu/mailman/listinfo/oldtools and submit a request.  Once you’re subscribed, it’s considered polite to post a bio (Brief or long-winded, your choice.)   Discussions sometimes drift a bit off topic, but flame wars are actively quashed, as we consider the list to be the moral equivalent of sitting on a friend’s porch having a friendly discussion.

        Charles Joiner

        Mostly lurking on Oldtools since about day 10…

        I'd start with reading anything and everything by Roy Underhill. Regardless of the time period, the tools and techniques haven't changed THAT much. I don't want to get drawn into another discussion on the differences of the metals used.

        Roy frequently rips boards on his show. True, he is a Master Woodworker and it's not as easy as it looks. His books are usually in libraries (try inter-library loan) but they are worth it for the home library. He also has some nice projects.

        Anthony Bayer <tonybayer73@...> wrote:

        Hi all. I've decided to start the process of moving away from power
        tools and working more with only hand tools. Currently, I'm
        practicing flattening and squaring boards using hand planes. I think
        the next step(which I find kind of scary) is to start using hand saws
        to rip and crosscut boards to size. I was interested in seeing if
        anyone does this and is willing to offer up some advice on
        tools/techniques, etc.

        Tony

        RdA

        Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

      • Avery Austringer
        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
          It can be done. About two months ago I was building something for the
          yard out of treated lumber. For part of it I was using fence rails
          that were a full inch thick and 5-1/2 wide. For another part I needed
          a full inch by 7-1/2 wide but no such beast was available.

          Because I didn't want to get copper salts all over myself, my shop and,
          most important of all, my cast iron tables my wife and I resawed 6 foot
          of 2x8 by hand. It wasn't all that bad but I'm not exatcly eager to do
          it again. In addition to having sharp tools, have a good way to hold
          the lumber you're wanting to cut. For us it was a two person job
          because we had no good way to hold the work. (In a couple days when I
          post pictures of the bench I'm finally finishing up, this is a large
          part of the motivation.)

          Avery
        • Jeff Johnson
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
            If you look at the medieval illustrations that depict handsaws, they
            look like some may be pullsaws. See the Merode alterpiece, right panel
            , at Joseph's feet. It's hard to tell for sure, though, as the
            orientation of the teeth isn't apparent. But look at the handle design
            : a straight stick. Not very useful as a push-saw.

            --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...>
            wrote:

            > I have been using "Japanese" style pull saws for years now and have
            found no hand saw to be their equal. A good starter can be found in
            Lowes under the name of "Bear Saw". Cost around twenty bucks. They
            have several varieties. Start with the combination model. It's a
            good saw for rip and crosscuts. It takes some practice getting used
            to the flexibility of the blade. I have learned to go slow and resist
            the urge to rip the material at the speed that the saw will
            accommodate. Keep your hands clear. The blade will flex and likes to
            seek a finger or the back of the hand upon occasion. Smooth and
            steady is the key. Let the saw do the work and you will be amazed at
            how fast it accomplishes it. If the blade vibrates, you're moving to
            fast. My wife bought me a combination saw made in Japan a couple of
            years ago as a gift. I still cringe every time I use it. It should
            be on display with other replicas of cutting utensils but it's just
            too damn nice to let sit.

            > Lagerstein

          • Ralph Lindberg
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Phillips" <chuck@...>
              wrote:

              > Along with the collected works of St. Roy, there is another list you
              > really should check out (If you're not already subscribed): Oldtools.
              > This garrulous gathering of gregarious Galoots got going lo these many
              > years ago as an offshoot of rec.woodworking.

              Now that brings back memories... About 1 million years ago (internet
              time) I ran the straw-poll that decided that rec.woodworking shouldn't
              split.

              At the start of the discussion there were hundreds of posts to the
              newsgroup, every day. So many that it was easy to lose entire
              discussions. At the time there was only really -one- on-line "forum"
              for woodworking, that was "the rec". Many thought something had to
              change, others didn't.

              The poll failed and rec.woodworking didn't split.

              Of course the Neanderthals and Turners just went their own ways, with
              the old-tool e-mail list and the new newsgroup rec.crafts.woodturning.

              Like I said, brings back memories

              TTFN
              Ralg
              AnTir
            • Syr Justus de Tyre
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                "If you look at the medieval illustrations that depict handsaws, they
                look like some may be pullsaws. See the Merode alterpiece, right panel
                , at Joseph's feet. It's hard to tell for sure, though, as the
                orientation of the teeth isn't apparent. But look at the handle design
                : a straight stick. Not very useful as a push-saw."

                There are two saws of that description in the Mastermyr chest, it's
                shaped more like a knife than what we think of as a saw with a "D"
                handle. Both of them are push saws, as in the teeth face forward. One
                is definitely filed for crosscutting, and the other may be filed for
                ripping. they are fairly thick and would stand up to being pushed.
                Think of them as joinery saws though, fairly light work, not for
                resawing thick boards.

                http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2552088897_7e1b5f8448_o.jpg

                http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/2552088981_4f2812324f_b.jpg

                -Justus
              • Syr Justus de Tyre
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                  "And I took a look at the photo-essay on hand sawing (thanks Aiden).
                  Why, with the option of having the boards be any thickness at all, did
                  Justus choose 4/4 and make them look saw-mill made?

                  -Malcolm"

                  Because 4/4 is what I needed. : )

                  I actually cut them a little thicker, the finished dimension is 4/4.
                  those boards are now part of a strong box that I made for a freind.
                  I'll see if I can dig up pictures.
                  Some of that live oak has been turned into 2x2 stock for a chest I'm
                  planning, some has been used for various small tools, (made a
                  beautiful marking gauge out of a piece of throwaway scrap.) And much
                  of it is still in it's original 11x11 state, though I did cut some of
                  the beams when I moved them because they were too long to fit in the
                  truck. (that was some hard thinking there as to future projects)

                  -Justus
                • Syr Justus de Tyre
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Bayer"
                    <tonybayer73@...> wrote:

                    > Hi all. I've decided to start the process of moving away from power
                    > tools and working more with only hand tools. Currently, I'm
                    > practicing flattening and squaring boards using hand planes. I think
                    > the next step(which I find kind of scary) is to start using hand saws
                    > to rip and crosscut boards to size. I was interested in seeing if
                    > anyone does this and is willing to offer up some advice on
                    > tools/techniques, etc.
                    >
                    > Tony

                    Thank you Aiden for uploading the tutorial I made about ripping boards
                    by hand. The site that they used to be hosted on is no more so I have
                    re-uploaded them to my new site. You can get much larger pictures
                    there than are available in the PDF. I've also updated the text a bit.

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/syrjustus/sets/72157605421219053/

                    In addition to the resawing essay I made one about working from the
                    tree without using saws which is the best way to go if it is available
                    to you.

                    http://www.flickr.com/photos/syrjustus/sets/72157605421849983/

                    I will have the text finished for the hand saw essay soon.

                    -Justus
                  • Brian Tychonski
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                      I've got a chimenea for my cut offs. When the weather permits (no air quality advisories and outdoor temps below 80 degrees, I fire it up and chuck them in. I've been known to melt beer bottles and soda cans in it. I think it may be getting too hot, it's starting to have heat cracks up and down it.

                      Brian the Pyro Broadaxe
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 5, 2008
                        Yeah.  I don't do ceramics or glass myself, but I'm surrounded by them.

                        Rule of thumb:  if you can melt glass bottles, your clay chimenea is getting too hot.

                        Will

                        I've got a chimenea for my cut offs. When the weather permits (no air quality advisories and outdoor temps below 80 degrees, I fire it up and chuck them in. I've been known to melt beer bottles and soda cans in it. I think it may be getting too hot, it's starting to have heat cracks up and down it.

                        Brian the Pyro Broadaxe

                      • Karl Christoffers
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 5, 2008

                          "And I took a look at the photo-essay on hand sawing (thanks Aiden).
                          Why, with the option of having the boards be any thickness at all, did
                          Justus choose 4/4 and make them look saw-mill made?

                          -Malcolm"

                          Because 4/4 is what I needed. : )

                          I *so* deserved that.

                          -Malcolm

                          IYour Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

                          Star Wars on Y!

                          Discover new content

                          Connect with other

                          fans & upload video.