Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: RE-Making a Trailer

  • Liedtke Goetz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3 7:08 PM
      --- Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

      > You are talking about a Torsion Box.

      That's probably the correct name. They are very strong.

      > The point that I was trying to make (and others as well) is that
      > the repeated pressure of air on the front of the trailer will tend
      > to push it into a parallelagram instead of a rectangle - like the
      > mast on a ship.

      Well, the way that trailer manufacturers handle this is to build a
      vee-shaped nose. If you look at trailers in the parking lot of Lowes
      or Home Depot, the shorter trailers that can reasonably be expected to
      be in the "wind shadow" of the towing vehicle have flat fronts. Once
      you get to the larger trailers, you'll see vee-shaped fronts. If the
      trailer chassis is not vee-shaped, one can build the shape partially on
      the square front and partially on the tongue.

      Götz