Re: [MedievalSawdust] Ripping board by hand

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008
      I'd start with reading anything and everything by Roy Underhill. Regardless of the time period, the tools and techniques haven't changed THAT much. I don't want to get drawn into another discussion on the differences of the metals used.

      Roy frequently rips boards on his show. True, he is a Master Woodworker and it's not as easy as it looks. His books are usually in libraries (try inter-library loan) but they are worth it for the home library. He also has some nice projects.

      Anthony Bayer <tonybayer73@...> wrote:
      Hi all. I've decided to start the process of moving away from power
      tools and working more with only hand tools. Currently, I'm
      practicing flattening and squaring boards using hand planes. I think
      the next step(which I find kind of scary) is to start using hand saws
      to rip and crosscut boards to size. I was interested in seeing if
      anyone does this and is willing to offer up some advice on
      tools/techniques, etc.

      Tony

      RdA
      Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

    • Dave Ordway
      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008
        I have been using "Japanese" style pull saws for years now and have found no hand saw to be their equal.  A good starter can be found in Lowes under the name of "Bear Saw".  Cost around twenty bucks.  They have several varieties.  Start with the combination model.  It's a good saw for rip and crosscuts.  It takes some practice getting used to the flexibility of the blade.  I have learned to go slow and resist the urge to rip the material at the speed that the saw will accommodate.  Keep your hands clear.  The blade will flex and likes to seek a finger or the back of the hand upon occasion.  Smooth and steady is the key.  Let the saw do the work and you will be amazed at how fast it accomplishes it.  If the blade vibrates, you're moving to fast.  My wife bought me a combination saw made in Japan a couple of years ago as a gift.  I still cringe every time I use it.  It should be on display with other replicas of cutting utensils but it's just too damn nice to let sit.

        Lagerstein

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 3, 2008

          Along with the collected works of St. Roy, there is another list you really should check out (If you’re not already subscribed): Oldtools.  This garrulous gathering of gregarious Galoots got going lo these many years ago as an offshoot of rec.woodworking.  More than a few of the members have already gone down the quiet path (and most of the rest are well down the slippery slope), and the collective wisdom of the porch is impressive.  To subscribe, go to http://ruckus.law.cornell.edu/mailman/listinfo/oldtools and submit a request.  Once you’re subscribed, it’s considered polite to post a bio (Brief or long-winded, your choice.)   Discussions sometimes drift a bit off topic, but flame wars are actively quashed, as we consider the list to be the moral equivalent of sitting on a friend’s porch having a friendly discussion.

          Charles Joiner

          Mostly lurking on Oldtools since about day 10…

          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
            It can be done. About two months ago I was building something for the
            yard out of treated lumber. For part of it I was using fence rails
            that were a full inch thick and 5-1/2 wide. For another part I needed
            a full inch by 7-1/2 wide but no such beast was available.

            Because I didn't want to get copper salts all over myself, my shop and,
            most important of all, my cast iron tables my wife and I resawed 6 foot
            of 2x8 by hand. It wasn't all that bad but I'm not exatcly eager to do
            it again. In addition to having sharp tools, have a good way to hold
            the lumber you're wanting to cut. For us it was a two person job
            because we had no good way to hold the work. (In a couple days when I
            post pictures of the bench I'm finally finishing up, this is a large
            part of the motivation.)

            Avery
          • Jeff Johnson
            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
              If you look at the medieval illustrations that depict handsaws, they
              look like some may be pullsaws. See the Merode alterpiece, right panel
              , at Joseph's feet. It's hard to tell for sure, though, as the
              orientation of the teeth isn't apparent. But look at the handle design
              : a straight stick. Not very useful as a push-saw.

              --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...>
              wrote:

              > I have been using "Japanese" style pull saws for years now and have
              found no hand saw to be their equal. A good starter can be found in
              Lowes under the name of "Bear Saw". Cost around twenty bucks. They
              have several varieties. Start with the combination model. It's a
              good saw for rip and crosscuts. It takes some practice getting used
              to the flexibility of the blade. I have learned to go slow and resist
              the urge to rip the material at the speed that the saw will
              accommodate. Keep your hands clear. The blade will flex and likes to
              seek a finger or the back of the hand upon occasion. Smooth and
              steady is the key. Let the saw do the work and you will be amazed at
              how fast it accomplishes it. If the blade vibrates, you're moving to
              fast. My wife bought me a combination saw made in Japan a couple of
              years ago as a gift. I still cringe every time I use it. It should
              be on display with other replicas of cutting utensils but it's just
              too damn nice to let sit.

              > Lagerstein

            • Ralph Lindberg
              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Phillips" <chuck@...>
                wrote:

                > Along with the collected works of St. Roy, there is another list you
                > really should check out (If you're not already subscribed): Oldtools.
                > This garrulous gathering of gregarious Galoots got going lo these many
                > years ago as an offshoot of rec.woodworking.

                Now that brings back memories... About 1 million years ago (internet
                time) I ran the straw-poll that decided that rec.woodworking shouldn't
                split.

                At the start of the discussion there were hundreds of posts to the
                newsgroup, every day. So many that it was easy to lose entire
                discussions. At the time there was only really -one- on-line "forum"
                for woodworking, that was "the rec". Many thought something had to
                change, others didn't.

                The poll failed and rec.woodworking didn't split.

                Of course the Neanderthals and Turners just went their own ways, with
                the old-tool e-mail list and the new newsgroup rec.crafts.woodturning.

                Like I said, brings back memories

                TTFN
                Ralg
                AnTir
              • Syr Justus de Tyre
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                  "If you look at the medieval illustrations that depict handsaws, they
                  look like some may be pullsaws. See the Merode alterpiece, right panel
                  , at Joseph's feet. It's hard to tell for sure, though, as the
                  orientation of the teeth isn't apparent. But look at the handle design
                  : a straight stick. Not very useful as a push-saw."

                  There are two saws of that description in the Mastermyr chest, it's
                  shaped more like a knife than what we think of as a saw with a "D"
                  handle. Both of them are push saws, as in the teeth face forward. One
                  is definitely filed for crosscutting, and the other may be filed for
                  ripping. they are fairly thick and would stand up to being pushed.
                  Think of them as joinery saws though, fairly light work, not for
                  resawing thick boards.

                  http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2552088897_7e1b5f8448_o.jpg

                  http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/2552088981_4f2812324f_b.jpg

                  -Justus
                • Syr Justus de Tyre
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                    "And I took a look at the photo-essay on hand sawing (thanks Aiden).
                    Why, with the option of having the boards be any thickness at all, did
                    Justus choose 4/4 and make them look saw-mill made?

                    -Malcolm"

                    Because 4/4 is what I needed. : )

                    I actually cut them a little thicker, the finished dimension is 4/4.
                    those boards are now part of a strong box that I made for a freind.
                    I'll see if I can dig up pictures.
                    Some of that live oak has been turned into 2x2 stock for a chest I'm
                    planning, some has been used for various small tools, (made a
                    beautiful marking gauge out of a piece of throwaway scrap.) And much
                    of it is still in it's original 11x11 state, though I did cut some of
                    the beams when I moved them because they were too long to fit in the
                    truck. (that was some hard thinking there as to future projects)

                    -Justus
                  • Syr Justus de Tyre
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Bayer"
                      <tonybayer73@...> wrote:

                      > Hi all. I've decided to start the process of moving away from power
                      > tools and working more with only hand tools. Currently, I'm
                      > practicing flattening and squaring boards using hand planes. I think
                      > the next step(which I find kind of scary) is to start using hand saws
                      > to rip and crosscut boards to size. I was interested in seeing if
                      > anyone does this and is willing to offer up some advice on
                      > tools/techniques, etc.
                      >
                      > Tony

                      Thank you Aiden for uploading the tutorial I made about ripping boards
                      by hand. The site that they used to be hosted on is no more so I have
                      re-uploaded them to my new site. You can get much larger pictures
                      there than are available in the PDF. I've also updated the text a bit.

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/syrjustus/sets/72157605421219053/

                      In addition to the resawing essay I made one about working from the
                      tree without using saws which is the best way to go if it is available
                      to you.

                      http://www.flickr.com/photos/syrjustus/sets/72157605421849983/

                      I will have the text finished for the hand saw essay soon.

                      -Justus
                    • Brian Tychonski
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 4, 2008
                        I've got a chimenea for my cut offs. When the weather permits (no air quality advisories and outdoor temps below 80 degrees, I fire it up and chuck them in. I've been known to melt beer bottles and soda cans in it. I think it may be getting too hot, it's starting to have heat cracks up and down it.

                        Brian the Pyro Broadaxe
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 5, 2008
                          Yeah.  I don't do ceramics or glass myself, but I'm surrounded by them.

                          Rule of thumb:  if you can melt glass bottles, your clay chimenea is getting too hot.

                          Will

                          I've got a chimenea for my cut offs. When the weather permits (no air quality advisories and outdoor temps below 80 degrees, I fire it up and chuck them in. I've been known to melt beer bottles and soda cans in it. I think it may be getting too hot, it's starting to have heat cracks up and down it.

                          Brian the Pyro Broadaxe

                        • Karl Christoffers
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 5, 2008

                            "And I took a look at the photo-essay on hand sawing (thanks Aiden).
                            Why, with the option of having the boards be any thickness at all, did
                            Justus choose 4/4 and make them look saw-mill made?

                            -Malcolm"

                            Because 4/4 is what I needed. : )

                            I *so* deserved that.

                            -Malcolm

                            IYour Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

                            Star Wars on Y!

                            Discover new content

                            Connect with other

                            fans & upload video.