Seat height

  • AlbionWood
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
      A lot of the Gothic boarded stools from the 15th -16th centuries appear to be taller than a modern chair seat, and are also frequently shown in use as side tables.  Some surviving stools in European museums are around 22" tall.

      One thing I've noticed: when you're wearing joined hose, it's easier to "perch" on a taller stool than to sit in a chair.  Is it coincidence that these stools appear around the same time as joined hose?

      Cheers,
      Colin

      bayard_turner wrote:
      I started with the seat height as my basis - I measured a standard
      chair and came up with 18"  Eyeballing the pictures Tom Rettie posted,
      and a number of the period paintings he referenced (and a bunch more I
      came across as I looked into the idea), I ended up with an equilateral
      triangle about 15" on a side, which gave me only 13" front to back.

      In hindsight, I realize that most of the stools shown in the paintings
      are fairly tall - in many, they seem to be used interchagably as a
      stool or a side table - check out Pieter Aertsen's "Peasants by the
      Hearth"  http://www.wga.hu/art/a/aertsen/merry_co.jpg  I could
      probably have kept the same proportions, but made it 22" tall and
      18.5" on a side and fit pretty well with the images.