RE: [MedievalSawdust] Ripping board by hand

    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 3 12:50 PM
      One of the most valuable things my old boss taught me:

      When people want you to do things you dislike, keep raising your price.  Eventually, either they will quit asking you to do it, OR, for that kind of money, you won't mind so much any more.

      Will

      Message 2 of 21 , Jun 3 5:30 PM
        Greetings the list,

        I am working up to hand-sawing boards, but my saw sharpening skills are not yet up to the job. Bearing that in mind I have read two articles recently which bear on hand sawing. The first is "How to Saw" (striking originality) by Chris Schwartz in the Spring 2008 (#9) of "Woodworking Magazine" which seems on point and useful. The second is saw bench design in the June 2005 (#148) issue of "Popular Woodworking."

        And I took a look at the photo-essay on hand sawing (thanks Aiden). Why, with the option of having the boards be any thickness at all, did Justus choose 4/4 and make them look saw-mill made?

        -Malcolm

        Message 3 of 21 , Jun 3 6:01 PM
          I'd start with reading anything and everything by Roy Underhill. Regardless of the time period, the tools and techniques haven't changed THAT much. I don't want to get drawn into another discussion on the differences of the metals used.

          Roy frequently rips boards on his show. True, he is a Master Woodworker and it's not as easy as it looks. His books are usually in libraries (try inter-library loan) but they are worth it for the home library. He also has some nice projects.

          Anthony Bayer <tonybayer73@...> wrote:
          Hi all. I've decided to start the process of moving away from power
          tools and working more with only hand tools. Currently, I'm
          practicing flattening and squaring boards using hand planes. I think
          the next step(which I find kind of scary) is to start using hand saws
          to rip and crosscut boards to size. I was interested in seeing if
          anyone does this and is willing to offer up some advice on
          tools/techniques, etc.

          Tony

          RdA
          Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

        • Dave Ordway
          Message 4 of 21 , Jun 3 8:23 PM
            I have been using "Japanese" style pull saws for years now and have found no hand saw to be their equal.  A good starter can be found in Lowes under the name of "Bear Saw".  Cost around twenty bucks.  They have several varieties.  Start with the combination model.  It's a good saw for rip and crosscuts.  It takes some practice getting used to the flexibility of the blade.  I have learned to go slow and resist the urge to rip the material at the speed that the saw will accommodate.  Keep your hands clear.  The blade will flex and likes to seek a finger or the back of the hand upon occasion.  Smooth and steady is the key.  Let the saw do the work and you will be amazed at how fast it accomplishes it.  If the blade vibrates, you're moving to fast.  My wife bought me a combination saw made in Japan a couple of years ago as a gift.  I still cringe every time I use it.  It should be on display with other replicas of cutting utensils but it's just too damn nice to let sit.

            Lagerstein

            Message 5 of 21 , Jun 3 10:28 PM

              Along with the collected works of St. Roy, there is another list you really should check out (If you’re not already subscribed): Oldtools.  This garrulous gathering of gregarious Galoots got going lo these many years ago as an offshoot of rec.woodworking.  More than a few of the members have already gone down the quiet path (and most of the rest are well down the slippery slope), and the collective wisdom of the porch is impressive.  To subscribe, go to http://ruckus.law.cornell.edu/mailman/listinfo/oldtools and submit a request.  Once you’re subscribed, it’s considered polite to post a bio (Brief or long-winded, your choice.)   Discussions sometimes drift a bit off topic, but flame wars are actively quashed, as we consider the list to be the moral equivalent of sitting on a friend’s porch having a friendly discussion.

              Charles Joiner

              Mostly lurking on Oldtools since about day 10…

              Message 6 of 21 , Jun 4 3:34 PM
                It can be done. About two months ago I was building something for the
                yard out of treated lumber. For part of it I was using fence rails
                that were a full inch thick and 5-1/2 wide. For another part I needed
                a full inch by 7-1/2 wide but no such beast was available.

                Because I didn't want to get copper salts all over myself, my shop and,
                most important of all, my cast iron tables my wife and I resawed 6 foot
                of 2x8 by hand. It wasn't all that bad but I'm not exatcly eager to do
                it again. In addition to having sharp tools, have a good way to hold
                the lumber you're wanting to cut. For us it was a two person job
                because we had no good way to hold the work. (In a couple days when I
                post pictures of the bench I'm finally finishing up, this is a large
                part of the motivation.)

                Avery
              • Jeff Johnson
                Message 7 of 21 , Jun 4 5:53 PM
                  If you look at the medieval illustrations that depict handsaws, they
                  look like some may be pullsaws. See the Merode alterpiece, right panel
                  , at Joseph's feet. It's hard to tell for sure, though, as the
                  orientation of the teeth isn't apparent. But look at the handle design
                  : a straight stick. Not very useful as a push-saw.

                  --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Ordway" <dabugler@...>
                  wrote:

                  > I have been using "Japanese" style pull saws for years now and have
                  found no hand saw to be their equal. A good starter can be found in
                  Lowes under the name of "Bear Saw". Cost around twenty bucks. They
                  have several varieties. Start with the combination model. It's a
                  good saw for rip and crosscuts. It takes some practice getting used
                  to the flexibility of the blade. I have learned to go slow and resist
                  the urge to rip the material at the speed that the saw will
                  accommodate. Keep your hands clear. The blade will flex and likes to
                  seek a finger or the back of the hand upon occasion. Smooth and
                  steady is the key. Let the saw do the work and you will be amazed at
                  how fast it accomplishes it. If the blade vibrates, you're moving to
                  fast. My wife bought me a combination saw made in Japan a couple of
                  years ago as a gift. I still cringe every time I use it. It should
                  be on display with other replicas of cutting utensils but it's just
                  too damn nice to let sit.

                  > Lagerstein

                • Ralph Lindberg
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jun 4 6:16 PM
                    --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Phillips" <chuck@...>
                    wrote:

                    > Along with the collected works of St. Roy, there is another list you
                    > really should check out (If you're not already subscribed): Oldtools.
                    > This garrulous gathering of gregarious Galoots got going lo these many
                    > years ago as an offshoot of rec.woodworking.

                    Now that brings back memories... About 1 million years ago (internet
                    time) I ran the straw-poll that decided that rec.woodworking shouldn't
                    split.

                    At the start of the discussion there were hundreds of posts to the
                    newsgroup, every day. So many that it was easy to lose entire
                    discussions. At the time there was only really -one- on-line "forum"
                    for woodworking, that was "the rec". Many thought something had to
                    change, others didn't.

                    The poll failed and rec.woodworking didn't split.

                    Of course the Neanderthals and Turners just went their own ways, with
                    the old-tool e-mail list and the new newsgroup rec.crafts.woodturning.

                    Like I said, brings back memories

                    TTFN
                    Ralg
                    AnTir
                  • Syr Justus de Tyre
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jun 4 8:10 PM
                      "If you look at the medieval illustrations that depict handsaws, they
                      look like some may be pullsaws. See the Merode alterpiece, right panel
                      , at Joseph's feet. It's hard to tell for sure, though, as the
                      orientation of the teeth isn't apparent. But look at the handle design
                      : a straight stick. Not very useful as a push-saw."

                      There are two saws of that description in the Mastermyr chest, it's
                      shaped more like a knife than what we think of as a saw with a "D"
                      handle. Both of them are push saws, as in the teeth face forward. One
                      is definitely filed for crosscutting, and the other may be filed for
                      ripping. they are fairly thick and would stand up to being pushed.
                      Think of them as joinery saws though, fairly light work, not for
                      resawing thick boards.

                      http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3079/2552088897_7e1b5f8448_o.jpg

                      http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2334/2552088981_4f2812324f_b.jpg

                      -Justus
                    • Syr Justus de Tyre
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jun 4 8:19 PM
                        "And I took a look at the photo-essay on hand sawing (thanks Aiden).
                        Why, with the option of having the boards be any thickness at all, did
                        Justus choose 4/4 and make them look saw-mill made?

                        -Malcolm"

                        Because 4/4 is what I needed. : )

                        I actually cut them a little thicker, the finished dimension is 4/4.
                        those boards are now part of a strong box that I made for a freind.
                        I'll see if I can dig up pictures.
                        Some of that live oak has been turned into 2x2 stock for a chest I'm
                        planning, some has been used for various small tools, (made a
                        beautiful marking gauge out of a piece of throwaway scrap.) And much
                        of it is still in it's original 11x11 state, though I did cut some of
                        the beams when I moved them because they were too long to fit in the
                        truck. (that was some hard thinking there as to future projects)

                        -Justus
                      • Syr Justus de Tyre
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jun 4 8:25 PM
                          --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Anthony Bayer"
                          <tonybayer73@...> wrote:

                          > Hi all. I've decided to start the process of moving away from power
                          > tools and working more with only hand tools. Currently, I'm
                          > practicing flattening and squaring boards using hand planes. I think
                          > the next step(which I find kind of scary) is to start using hand saws
                          > to rip and crosscut boards to size. I was interested in seeing if
                          > anyone does this and is willing to offer up some advice on
                          > tools/techniques, etc.
                          >
                          > Tony

                          Thank you Aiden for uploading the tutorial I made about ripping boards
                          by hand. The site that they used to be hosted on is no more so I have
                          re-uploaded them to my new site. You can get much larger pictures
                          there than are available in the PDF. I've also updated the text a bit.

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/syrjustus/sets/72157605421219053/

                          In addition to the resawing essay I made one about working from the
                          tree without using saws which is the best way to go if it is available
                          to you.

                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/syrjustus/sets/72157605421849983/

                          I will have the text finished for the hand saw essay soon.

                          -Justus
                        • Brian Tychonski
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jun 4 9:10 PM
                            I've got a chimenea for my cut offs. When the weather permits (no air quality advisories and outdoor temps below 80 degrees, I fire it up and chuck them in. I've been known to melt beer bottles and soda cans in it. I think it may be getting too hot, it's starting to have heat cracks up and down it.

                            Brian the Pyro Broadaxe
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jun 5 7:32 AM
                              Yeah.  I don't do ceramics or glass myself, but I'm surrounded by them.

                              Rule of thumb:  if you can melt glass bottles, your clay chimenea is getting too hot.

                              Will

                              I've got a chimenea for my cut offs. When the weather permits (no air quality advisories and outdoor temps below 80 degrees, I fire it up and chuck them in. I've been known to melt beer bottles and soda cans in it. I think it may be getting too hot, it's starting to have heat cracks up and down it.

                              Brian the Pyro Broadaxe

                            • Karl Christoffers
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jun 5 1:00 PM

                                "And I took a look at the photo-essay on hand sawing (thanks Aiden).
                                Why, with the option of having the boards be any thickness at all, did
                                Justus choose 4/4 and make them look saw-mill made?

                                -Malcolm"

                                Because 4/4 is what I needed. : )

                                I *so* deserved that.

                                -Malcolm

                                IYour Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

                                Star Wars on Y!

                                Discover new content

                                Connect with other

                                fans & upload video.