Re: Pictures of Recent Work

  • bayard_turner
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
      I started with the seat height as my basis - I measured a standard
      chair and came up with 18" Eyeballing the pictures Tom Rettie posted,
      and a number of the period paintings he referenced (and a bunch more I
      came across as I looked into the idea), I ended up with an equilateral
      triangle about 15" on a side, which gave me only 13" front to back.

      In hindsight, I realize that most of the stools shown in the paintings
      are fairly tall - in many, they seem to be used interchagably as a
      stool or a side table - check out Pieter Aertsen's "Peasants by the
      Hearth" http://www.wga.hu/art/a/aertsen/merry_co.jpg I could
      probably have kept the same proportions, but made it 22" tall and
      18.5" on a side and fit pretty well with the images.

      Thanks for your suggestions!

      Bayard

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gunwaldt" <gunwaldt@...> wrote:

      > > I made the 3-legged Backstool based on pictures
      > > posted on Tom Rettie's site. I think I got the
      > > overall proportions right, but failed to start
      > > with the critical measurement - distance from the
      > > front of the seat to the back. I ended up with a
      > > stool that requires you to perch on the very front rung.
      >
      > The work looks nice. What are your seat height & width measurements?
      > From the pics the seat appears to be an equilateral triangle, so the
      > depth is limited. Expanding the dimensions to create an "ample" seat
      > may well cost you the proportions you desire. Or you could use an
      > isosceles triangle to give you greater depth to the chair back.

    • AlbionWood