Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: RE-Making a Trailer

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 3, 2008
      You are talking about a Torsion Box. I understand that they are incredibly strong and not difficult (there's a relative term) to make. One person made a torsion box shelf then considered listing his house as "For Sale: shelf with house attached".

      The point that I was trying to make (and others as well) is that the repeated pressure of air on the front of the trailer will  tend to push it into a parallelagram instead of a rectangle - like the mast on a ship. A round-nose trailer would help alleviate that, but is more difficult to make.

      Liedtke Goetz <goetzliedtke@...> wrote:
      What about tension panels - like a hollow-core door? You could use
      the 1.5"*1" structural members with a 1/4" hardboard or plywood surface
      panel glued to the structures (you can also use other fasteners). The
      skin acts as both a structural support (as in the 1/2" plywood
      mentioned in an earlier message) and as a tension member equivalent to
      the wire cross-braces.

      I have a closet filled with shelves made from tension panels and I
      put very heavy objects on the shelves.

      Götz
      .

      RdA
      Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

    • Liedtke Goetz
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2008
        --- Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

        > You are talking about a Torsion Box.

        That's probably the correct name. They are very strong.

        > The point that I was trying to make (and others as well) is that
        > the repeated pressure of air on the front of the trailer will tend
        > to push it into a parallelagram instead of a rectangle - like the
        > mast on a ship.

        Well, the way that trailer manufacturers handle this is to build a
        vee-shaped nose. If you look at trailers in the parking lot of Lowes
        or Home Depot, the shorter trailers that can reasonably be expected to
        be in the "wind shadow" of the towing vehicle have flat fronts. Once
        you get to the larger trailers, you'll see vee-shaped fronts. If the
        trailer chassis is not vee-shaped, one can build the shape partially on
        the square front and partially on the tongue.

        Götz