Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: RE-Making a Trailer

  • Liedtke Goetz
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
      What about tension panels - like a hollow-core door? You could use
      the 1.5"*1" structural members with a 1/4" hardboard or plywood surface
      panel glued to the structures (you can also use other fasteners). The
      skin acts as both a structural support (as in the 1/2" plywood
      mentioned in an earlier message) and as a tension member equivalent to
      the wire cross-braces.

      I have a closet filled with shelves made from tension panels and I
      put very heavy objects on the shelves.

      Götz

      --- Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

      > Ripping a 2 x 4 into 3 pieces each being (a true) 1 1/2 x 1 in should
      > be strong enough. I would brace the leading end (front) to prevent
      > racking from the headwind....that is, run a support diagonally from
      > the top-front to the bottom-middle or bottom-rear. I know that some
      > of the box stores sell sheet aluminum, but you could probably go
      > cheaper at a specialty store. You also might want to check into
      > buying a wheel lock so that someone doesn't drive off with your
      > trailer (they cut the hitch locks). A good wheel lock will cost you a
      > couple hundred dollars, but it's cheaper than replacing everything.
      >
      > Just a thought.
      >

      > RdA
      > Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

    • Rebekah d'Avignon
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 3, 2008
        For some reason my browser (or whatever) doesn't like those strings.
        However, they have the Trimax wheel lock which is an example of what I was talking about.

        Trevor Payne <littleaiden@...> wrote:
        Actually I would think something like this:

        http://www.heartlan dlock.com/ index.php? main_page= product_info&products_id= 46&zenid=2389d22f516f2 8e7f37b7f6169c02 f62

        Would be sufficient. I mean if the theives are willing to use a cutting torch to get at the trailer, no lock is going to keep them out. :)

        Aiden
        .

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 3, 2008
            --- Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

            > You are talking about a Torsion Box.

            That's probably the correct name. They are very strong.

            > The point that I was trying to make (and others as well) is that
            > the repeated pressure of air on the front of the trailer will tend
            > to push it into a parallelagram instead of a rectangle - like the
            > mast on a ship.

            Well, the way that trailer manufacturers handle this is to build a
            vee-shaped nose. If you look at trailers in the parking lot of Lowes
            or Home Depot, the shorter trailers that can reasonably be expected to
            be in the "wind shadow" of the towing vehicle have flat fronts. Once
            you get to the larger trailers, you'll see vee-shaped fronts. If the
            trailer chassis is not vee-shaped, one can build the shape partially on
            the square front and partially on the tongue.

            Götz