Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: RE-Making a Trailer

  • Rebekah d'Avignon
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
      Ripping a 2 x 4 into 3 pieces each being (a true) 1 1/2 x 1 in should be strong enough. I would brace the leading end (front) to prevent racking from the headwind....that is, run a support diagonally from the top-front to the bottom-middle or bottom-rear. I know that some of the box stores sell sheet aluminum, but you could probably go cheaper at a specialty store. You also might want to check into buying a wheel lock so that someone doesn't drive off with your trailer (they cut the hitch locks). A good wheel lock will cost you a couple hundred dollars, but it's cheaper than replacing everything.

      Just a thought.

      RdA
      Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

    • Trevor Payne
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
        Actually I would think something like this:

        http://www.heartlandlock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46&zenid=2389d22f516f28e7f37b7f6169c02f62

        Would be sufficient. I mean if the theives are willing to use a cutting torch to get at the trailer, no lock is going to keep them out. :)

        Aiden

        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
          The closer the studs, the stronger the structure, but also the heavier. 24" would be the better option for a trailer - better yet, save on weight and use metal studs. Once the sheeting is attached they become monolithic.

          In Magical Service,
          Malaki

          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
            What about tension panels - like a hollow-core door? You could use
            the 1.5"*1" structural members with a 1/4" hardboard or plywood surface
            panel glued to the structures (you can also use other fasteners). The
            skin acts as both a structural support (as in the 1/2" plywood
            mentioned in an earlier message) and as a tension member equivalent to
            the wire cross-braces.

            I have a closet filled with shelves made from tension panels and I
            put very heavy objects on the shelves.

            Götz

                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 3, 2008
                  --- Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

                  > You are talking about a Torsion Box.

                  That's probably the correct name. They are very strong.

                  > The point that I was trying to make (and others as well) is that
                  > the repeated pressure of air on the front of the trailer will tend
                  > to push it into a parallelagram instead of a rectangle - like the
                  > mast on a ship.

                  Well, the way that trailer manufacturers handle this is to build a
                  vee-shaped nose. If you look at trailers in the parking lot of Lowes
                  or Home Depot, the shorter trailers that can reasonably be expected to
                  be in the "wind shadow" of the towing vehicle have flat fronts. Once
                  you get to the larger trailers, you'll see vee-shaped fronts. If the
                  trailer chassis is not vee-shaped, one can build the shape partially on
                  the square front and partially on the tongue.

                  Götz