Re: Pictures of Recent Work

  • gunwaldt
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 2, 2008
      > I made the 3-legged Backstool based on pictures
      > posted on Tom Rettie's site. I think I got the
      > overall proportions right, but failed to start
      > with the critical measurement - distance from the
      > front of the seat to the back. I ended up with a
      > stool that requires you to perch on the very front rung.

      The work looks nice. What are your seat height & width measurements?
      From the pics the seat appears to be an equilateral triangle, so the
      depth is limited. Expanding the dimensions to create an "ample" seat
      may well cost you the proportions you desire. Or you could use an
      isosceles triangle to give you greater depth to the chair back.

      > The only option I've come up with is to cut off the
      > tall post and make a simple 3-legged stool . . .

      You could give it to someone of slender stature :>

      > Is anyone else working on things to take to events this summer?

      Most of my work this spring has been on tent poles for friends to kick
      off the camping season.

      Gunwaldt
      keep making sawdust!
    • bayard_turner
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 3, 2008
        I started with the seat height as my basis - I measured a standard
        chair and came up with 18" Eyeballing the pictures Tom Rettie posted,
        and a number of the period paintings he referenced (and a bunch more I
        came across as I looked into the idea), I ended up with an equilateral
        triangle about 15" on a side, which gave me only 13" front to back.

        In hindsight, I realize that most of the stools shown in the paintings
        are fairly tall - in many, they seem to be used interchagably as a
        stool or a side table - check out Pieter Aertsen's "Peasants by the
        Hearth" http://www.wga.hu/art/a/aertsen/merry_co.jpg I could
        probably have kept the same proportions, but made it 22" tall and
        18.5" on a side and fit pretty well with the images.

        Thanks for your suggestions!

        Bayard

        --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "gunwaldt" <gunwaldt@...> wrote:

        > > I made the 3-legged Backstool based on pictures
        > > posted on Tom Rettie's site. I think I got the
        > > overall proportions right, but failed to start
        > > with the critical measurement - distance from the
        > > front of the seat to the back. I ended up with a
        > > stool that requires you to perch on the very front rung.
        >
        > The work looks nice. What are your seat height & width measurements?
        > From the pics the seat appears to be an equilateral triangle, so the
        > depth is limited. Expanding the dimensions to create an "ample" seat
        > may well cost you the proportions you desire. Or you could use an
        > isosceles triangle to give you greater depth to the chair back.

      • AlbionWood