[SPAM][MedievalSawdust] Re: RE-Making a Trailer

  • gavin.kinkade
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
      rather simple question I hope.

      When making the studs for the walls, houses use 18 inches between
      studs? and garages and non-living spaces sometimes use 24 inches
      between studs?

      what would you guys recommend for stud distances? 18" or 24"?

      The trailer will be towed on the highway at speeds around 60 mph.

      Thanks
      Gavin

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <maf@...> wrote:

      > I stripped a trailer apart a couple of years ago for the frame and
      it had the black landscape fabric. You can buy the same fabric from
      an industrial fabric supplier, it's called endbond and last time I
      used it came in 60" wide rolls and was about $1 per linear yard if
      you purchased a 250 yard roll. It's nice it stops most water and will
      breath, they also use it for the underside of high end couches (as
      opposed to that really thin stuff on cheaper furniture). It only has
      one problem, it has an affinity for hydrocarbons. If you spill oil or
      grease on it they never come out because the polypropelene the
      endbound is made of bounds with it. You can also weld this fabric
      together with an impulse heater to make a very strong perfect seam.

      > Mark

    • gunwaldt
      Message 2 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
        > what would you guys recommend for stud distances? 18" or 24"?
        > The trailer will be towed on the highway at speeds around 60 mph.

        I recommend 24" centers for your wall studs, unless you are
        constructing a double-decker and need the additional strength.

        Gunwaldt
      • Oakes, George
        Message 3 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
          nope, just a simple 3 or 4 ft tall walls, with a slighly curved roof.

          i wanted to do 24" so as to reduce the amount of lumber used, and the total weight of the trailer. So Im glad you concur with my thinking

          Thanks again
          Peace

          > what would you guys recommend for stud distances? 18" or 24"?

          The trailer will be towed on the highway at speeds around 60 mph.

          I recommend 24" centers for your wall studs, unless you are
          constructing a double-decker and need the additional strength.

          Gunwaldt

        • Alex Haugland
          Message 4 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
            Depends what you're facing it with...  If the material is pretty sturdy in it's own right i.e. 1/2" marine-grade plywood and the studs are just providing a framework to hold it up, go with 24" to reduce weight.  This is also a factor of how big of a trailer you're looking at building.  A heavy plywood and 2x4 frame would potentially max out the load of a cheap 4'x8' trailer reducing the 2x4's to 2x2's using thinner plywood, increasing the spacing, and using diagonal cables to tension the framework against racking (leaning one way or the other out of square), you can build a much lighter framework with much wider spacing than even 24" that would be every bit as strong and reliable.

            --Alysaundre Weldon d'Ath
            Barony of Adiantum, An Tir

          • Oakes, George
            Message 5 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
              Re: [SPAM][MedievalSawdust] Re: RE-Making a Trailer

              I may not have stated this before but the trailer is 13foot long from the tounge to the back and 6foot wide. The cargo area is 6'x9' 10".

              So its not a rinky dink trailer. It is a single axle though. But the axle is pretty beefy.

              --------------------------
              Sent from my BlackBerry Wireless Device

                      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com <mailto:medievalsawdust%40yahoogroups.com> , <maf@...> <mailto:maf@...>  wrote:

                      > I stripped a trailer apart a couple of years ago for the frame and
                      it had the black landscape fabric. You can buy the same fabric from
                      an industrial fabric supplier, it's called endbond and last time I
                      used it came in 60" wide rolls and was about $1 per linear yard if
                      you purchased a 250 yard roll. It's nice it stops most water and will
                      breath, they also use it for the underside of high end couches (as
                      opposed to that really thin stuff on cheaper furniture). It only has
                      one problem, it has an affinity for hydrocarbons. If you spill oil or
                      grease on it they never come out because the polypropelene the
                      endbound is made of bounds with it. You can also weld this fabric
                      together with an impulse heater to make a very strong perfect seam.

                      > Mark

            • Rebekah d'Avignon
              Message 6 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
                Ripping a 2 x 4 into 3 pieces each being (a true) 1 1/2 x 1 in should be strong enough. I would brace the leading end (front) to prevent racking from the headwind....that is, run a support diagonally from the top-front to the bottom-middle or bottom-rear. I know that some of the box stores sell sheet aluminum, but you could probably go cheaper at a specialty store. You also might want to check into buying a wheel lock so that someone doesn't drive off with your trailer (they cut the hitch locks). A good wheel lock will cost you a couple hundred dollars, but it's cheaper than replacing everything.

                Just a thought.

                RdA
                Tools alone do not a craftsman make.

              • Trevor Payne
                Message 7 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
                  Actually I would think something like this:

                  http://www.heartlandlock.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=46&zenid=2389d22f516f28e7f37b7f6169c02f62

                  Would be sufficient. I mean if the theives are willing to use a cutting torch to get at the trailer, no lock is going to keep them out. :)

                  Aiden

                  Message 8 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
                    The closer the studs, the stronger the structure, but also the heavier. 24" would be the better option for a trailer - better yet, save on weight and use metal studs. Once the sheeting is attached they become monolithic.

                    In Magical Service,
                    Malaki

                    When making the studs for the walls, houses use 18 inches between
                    studs? and garages and non-living spaces sometimes use 24 inches
                    between studs?

                    what would you guys recommend for stud distances? 18" or 24"?

                    The trailer will be towed on the highway at speeds around 60 mph.

                    Thanks
                    Gavin

                    --- In medievalsawdust@ yahoogroups. com, <maf@...> wrote:

                    > I stripped a trailer apart a couple of years ago for the frame and
                    it had the black landscape fabric. You can buy the same fabric from
                    an industrial fabric supplier, it's called endbond and last time I
                    used it came in 60" wide rolls and was about $1 per linear yard if
                    you purchased a 250 yard roll. It's nice it stops most water and will
                    breath, they also use it for the underside of high end couches (as
                    opposed to that really thin stuff on cheaper furniture). It only has
                    one problem, it has an affinity for hydrocarbons. If you spill oil or
                    grease on it they never come out because the polypropelene the
                    endbound is made of bounds with it. You can also weld this fabric
                    together with an impulse heater to make a very strong perfect seam.

                    > Mark

                  • Liedtke Goetz
                    Message 9 of 13 , Jun 2, 2008
                      What about tension panels - like a hollow-core door? You could use
                      the 1.5"*1" structural members with a 1/4" hardboard or plywood surface
                      panel glued to the structures (you can also use other fasteners). The
                      skin acts as both a structural support (as in the 1/2" plywood
                      mentioned in an earlier message) and as a tension member equivalent to
                      the wire cross-braces.

                      I have a closet filled with shelves made from tension panels and I
                      put very heavy objects on the shelves.

                      Götz

                          Message 12 of 13 , Jun 3, 2008
                            --- Rebekah d'Avignon <rebekahdavignon@...> wrote:

                            > You are talking about a Torsion Box.

                            That's probably the correct name. They are very strong.

                            > The point that I was trying to make (and others as well) is that
                            > the repeated pressure of air on the front of the trailer will tend
                            > to push it into a parallelagram instead of a rectangle - like the
                            > mast on a ship.

                            Well, the way that trailer manufacturers handle this is to build a
                            vee-shaped nose. If you look at trailers in the parking lot of Lowes
                            or Home Depot, the shorter trailers that can reasonably be expected to
                            be in the "wind shadow" of the towing vehicle have flat fronts. Once
                            you get to the larger trailers, you'll see vee-shaped fronts. If the
                            trailer chassis is not vee-shaped, one can build the shape partially on
                            the square front and partially on the tongue.

                            Götz