9935RE: [MedievalSawdust] Let there be security! was Light!

  • Wolfeyes
    May 5, 2008
      On Mon, 2008-05-05 at 20:03 -0700, Liedtke Goetz wrote:

      < and there was much snippage (with apologies to the crew of Monty
      Python) >

      > You'll probably need at least one over-sized or double door for
      > panels and large lumber. Make sure those doors have center locking
      > mechanisms to prevent springing them. Also, all doors should either
      > have protected outside hinges (usually spot-welded) or no hinges on
      > the
      > outside. For safety, you should have at least one set of doors that
      > open outward, but that implies hinges on the outside, so you'll have
      > choose your risk.
      >
      > Götz

      Years ago I knew someone who managed to find two matching over-sized
      metal doors. He "flipped" one door, removed the outside knobs, and
      installed large "D" handles on the inside (remember school?
      "crash-bars" on the inside, "D" handles on the outside?). Then
      tack-welded a three or four pieces of 1/4" X 4" X 8' pieces of flat
      stock. A couple of brackets on either side of the door to support the
      ends, and Bingo! "Bar the door" took on new meaning.

      Yes, it was work. And yes, you could only open it from the inside. But
      that was the whole intention. Since the door-frame was solidly built,
      you couldn't pull the doors open with a truck - which was what happened
      to the previous set of doors, resulting in the loss of some $10,000
      worth of tools, lumber, and metal.

      Security needs to be planned in from the ground up.

      Good luck!
    • Show all 26 messages in this topic