      From: Rhys Terafan Greydragon <terafan@...>
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Sunday, September 9, 2007 10:33:00 AM
      Subject: RE: [MedievalSawdust] Some thoughts on this judging question

      Greetings all from Terafan,

         Master Charles said:

      >...get out there and
      DO IT.   ....  and, with luck... you'll inspire some other
      > craftsman out
      there to do ya' one better... and then the fun begins.

      You are absolutely right!   This is where I have had some of the most fun and created some of the coolest stuff!

      For about 10 years, I have had running "make spiff stuff" competitions with both Sir Kragon (from the Outlands) and Sir Dafydd ap Gwystl (from Atlantia).  They do one thing, and show it to me.  It is really cool, and I say "Wow !  That rocks! " ... but then I think that if if I *did X* then I could make one even spiffier and so I go off and do that.  Later on, I make some other cool item, and show it to them, and I can hear the gears in their minds going "Wow!  That rocks! ... but if I did X then I could make one even spiffier" and *they* go do that.

      Nobody else cares except us, but *we* each like the encouragement to make our encampments spiffier, and we get all sorts of praise and wondrous comments whenever someone else comes wandering through the encampment checking things out.

      cheers,
         Terafan

      Master Rhys Terafan Greydragon    terafan@greydragon. org
      Brewer, Tent and Furniture makers, and other things I can't remember...

      #1:  Like it... cool idea.

      #2:  Can-o-worms. ..  I can hear the "you don't love me anymore" arguments warming up in the whining section...  and the "but they got a COOLER event to show their stuff (ie "... the Crown wasn't at mine") than WE get to show OUR stuff...

      In spirit I'm with ya'... but I'd hate to be the KMOAS that tries to do it...

      If ya' REALLY want the best way to get yer stuff out there...  eschew (cool word, eh?) the competitions. ..  ain't no real way to compare pieces anyway unless everybody makes the same thing... or at least stays in roughly the same culture/time period...  the BEST way for an artisan to get what they're looking for is to get out there and DO IT.   Set up demos... set up classes... sit by yer' pavillion makin' something.  Set up a craftsman's display where you show off yer' stuff while showing people HOW to make it.  You will get noticed... you will attract like mined craftsmen (who we all know all have their own opinions on how good ya' did and how they would have done it differently. .  )...  and, with luck... you'll inspire some other craftsman out there to do ya' one better... and then the fun begins.

      I think part of the problem is that everybody is looking for a way to be seen... and not so much really the competition.  How do you compare one of my ol' 6 board chests to a viking wagon???  Who wins?  Any evaluation would have to involve some foundation for comparison.   Oh, yea... you can do the *rating game*... things are scored against some abstract yardstick (common to many "A&S competitions" ... but what does it mean in the end?

      Nope... again, as my ol' buddy Avery sez', "It ain't a competition. .. it's an EXHIBITION."

      Become an exhibitionist and you'll get all the feedback yer' heart desires... and you'll get it from enough people to make a proper evaluation of your efforts rather than the random sampling of an A&S Faire.

      Chas.

      Luggage? GPS? Comic books?