8892Re: [MedievalSawdust] Green wood workshop

  • Elizabeth Brakhage
    Aug 1, 2007
      Colin,

      You are so lucky. :-)  I love working with green wood.  I have my shave horse done, but haven't used it much.  We have discovered that harder woods work better for the table that clamps down on the piece you are working as a soft wood starts getting dents (?, not sure what the right word to use here is :-)) as you work with stuff.  So my laurel made us tables of yellow and purple heart so that they will hold up to the wear and tear.

      Please let me know when another workshop is.  I would love to try and attend. :-D

      Sara Sophia

      AlbionWood <albionwood@...> wrote:
      Hi all (or at least those who aren't sweating away at Pennsic),

      I'm finally getting some hands-on experience with green woodworking
      methods, in a workshop being led by Dan Stalzer, who studied under John
      Alexander and Drew Langsner. He's a great teacher, very fun guy, and
      the classmates are a good bunch as well (we don't seem to have that
      "high maintenance" type that usually mar such classes). Learning some
      good stuff; this is a very different way of working wood that anything
      I've done before. Now I gotta make me a shaving horse!

      We're making all the parts for a chair, then we'll be assembling our own
      from parts made by the previous workshop (since the parts have to dry
      for about 2 months). At the end of the week all 12 of us should have a
      completed chair.

      Next time Dan does one of these, I'll try to remember to post the
      information here in case anyone is interested in coming out to beautiful
      Mendocino for a week.

      Wish the tanoaks on my property were a little larger. You Easterners
      don't know how good you have it, surrounded by all that hardwood.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      <*> Your email settings: