6560Treenailing? WAS: Grain in joints and finishing questions

  • msgilliandurham
    Jul 1, 2006
      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, AlbionWood <albionwood@...>
      wrote:

      > Most of the 16th c. six-board chests appear to have been
      > treenailed; some appear to have used iron nails.

      I'm guessing from the context that "treenailing" is using some kind
      of narrow pegs as if they were metal nails -- but could you
      elaborate, please?

      > I use Tremont nails in slightly oversize holes. My main problem is
      > cupping as the boards shrink in dry climates; this is exacerbated
      > by my use of 1/2" boards for the sides (to save weight).
      >
      > It's possible that
      > the peg holes in the tenons were elongated (this is what I usually
      > do), but it's also possible that the combination of flexible pegs
      > and thick lumber accommodates all the cross-grain movement.

      Elongated how, please?

      Also, the book which started my thinking about this issue, says
      that "when assembing a box or drawer [this is one where the grain of
      all four sides is the same] turn the boards so tha annuual rings
      curve out [...] The board's natural tendency to cup will keep the
      corner joints tight at the edges."

      Gillian [grateful with the patience of this group for her questions!]
      Durham
    • Show all 13 messages in this topic