6556RE: [MedievalSawdust] Grain in joints and finishing questions

  • Glenn McDavid
    Jul 1, 2006
      On Sat, 1 Jul 2006, Chuck Phillips wrote:

      > I suspect that the reasoning people are using for the original
      > recommendation is the differential expansion argument. A six-board is a
      > special case where other considerations override - Short grain failure
      > is much more likely than joint bond failure.

      Roy Underhill discusses six-board chests in one of the _Woodwright_
      books, including the differential expansion issue. Don't recall the
      details, but it can be made to work.

      Glenn McDavid
      gmcdavid@...
      http://www.winternet.com/~gmcdavid