6553Re: Grain in joints and finishing questions

  • msgilliandurham
    Jul 1, 2006
      My thanks to you both -- and Milord Charles -- go get some sleep!!

      I'm thinking the "wicking up the feet" issue could be solved easily
      enough by

      1) Dipping the feet in warm wax until they will absorb no more wax,
      and have a thin coating on the outside

      2) setting the feet on pieces of glazed tile,

      3) capping them with boiled leather or [horrors] pleather.

      None of which are documentable, but then how many of our medieval
      ancestors left their furniture sitting outside for a week or two at a
      time, several times a year??

      [g,d, & r]

      Thanks again -- Gillian Durham

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Chuck Phillips" <chuck@...>
      wrote:

      > Conal;
      >
      > You're absolutely correct. Teach me to go spouting off in the wee
      hours
      > of the night. This would explain why every example of a six-board
      I can
      > recall has the grain oriented vertically on the ends.
      >
      > I suspect that the reasoning people are using for the original
      > recommendation is the differential expansion argument. A six-board
      is a
      > special case where other considerations override - Short grain
      failure
      > is much more likely than joint bond failure. We are still left
      with the
      > issue of placing end grain directly on the ground, which will
      eventually
      > lead to rot if there is any moisture. Adding some feet will help
      here,
      > at the cost of making the chest something other than a true six-
      board...

      > Charles Joiner
      > Rambling, running on 4 hours sleep.

      Jim