648Re: 'sawhorse' trestle tables

  • stefan_of_kiel
    May 12, 2003
      Hello Colin,

      I want to start by saying your web page has fantastic wood furniture.

      I've made a few knockdown trestle tables using slots and datos but
      they get loose quickly and wobble. I believe you have a picture on
      your webpage of a trestle where the cross piece is aligned up and
      down and your pin passes through side to side. Last night I was
      working on this wobble problem and cut a mortise for the pin to go
      top to bottom. The way it holds over a larger area of the leg and
      seems sturdier than the cross pin. The other thing I did was cut the
      pin's mortise at an angel to match the pins angle. This gave a
      larger area of contact inside the mortise and the leg stopped
      wobbling. The material I'm using is 7/8" maple. The cross piece is
      5" wide and the tenon is 3" wide x 4" long. I didn't cut a shoulder
      for the tenon because I felt the material is too thin. Once the
      mortise was cut in the leg, I then cut a 1/4" mortise in the tenon
      from top to bottom. Having the mortise go straight through and using
      an wedge shaped pin meant that only one small spot of the pin was
      contacting the instide of the mortise. I then took out more material
      to make the mortise angled and I recut my pin to match the angle and
      keep it short enough to stay below the tabletop when in place. Now I
      have a lot of contact in the mortise which puts pressure on the top
      and bottom of the tennon. This removed most of the wobble. There is
      still a little side to side wiggle, but I will probably glue small
      blocks jsut below the base of the tenon to act as shoulders and that
      should reduce that movement.

      I'll try to post some pics on my webpage this evening.
      http://www.dwarvenaxe.com The link will be in the Woodworks
      section. Assuming this test works successfully, I'll be fixing or
      replacing my existing trestles to this design.

      If someone else tries this or sees an obvious issue this this design,
      please let me know.

      Stefan

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, Tim Bray <tbray@m...> wrote:

      > >Who has made the 'sawhorse' style trestle tables?
      >
      > I have made some, in a knockdown style.
      >
      > >What angles and sizes did you find worked best?
      > >
      > >Did you make 3 or 4 legged trestles?
      >
      > Mine are tripods. Both the front and back legs are angled, at
      about 4 degrees.

      > >I made a prototype legs from scrap plywood
      > >( 3 legged )
      > >and didn't like the way it came out.
      >
      > I'm not completely satisfied with mine, either. They look nice and
      work
      > well... up to a point. A couple of customers think they are too
      > wobbly. This comes of making them knockdown.
      >
      > I don't think most of the medieval versions were made to come
      apart. Most
      > of them look like they have pretty thick legs, permanently joined
      to the
      > horizontal support. This would be a lot sturdier, but almost
      impossible to
      > pack for travel.
      >
      > I'm still trying to solve this problem: how to make trestles that
      are
      > sturdy and stable, but can be taken apart and packed flat.
      Suggestions
      > welcome!
      >
      > >( My wife found out that
      > >only the poor didn't cover up their tables
      > >with table clothes
      >
      > Yes, which makes documentation of these things extremely
      difficult. 90% of
      > the time, the trestles are hidden by the tablecloth. (Simliar
      problem with
      > beds, btw.) I do have a few details from paintings and
      illuminations; maybe
      > I'll try throwing them onto a Web page so we can all discuss them.
      >
      > Cheers,
      > Colin
      >

      > Albion Works
      > Furniture and Accessories