6239Re: [MedievalSawdust] Rope Bed

  • James Winkler
    May 2 4:51 PM
      Chris...

      Shipboard life is something that gets my interest rising... but isn't something I"ve really studied much.  You've mentiond that there isn't extant evidence of hammocks...  but what would be 'reasonable crew sizes' and what, if any evidence other than the on reed pad, does the archeological/historic record show the brought on board other than, perhaps, a sea chest or sea bag?  (I'm ex-Navy and I've always been a bit fascinated by Naval History in various forms...)

      What kind of quarters were crew normally afforded and how much 'personal gear' did they bring on board?  Did accomodation vary depending on the function of the ship?

      Do you have some suggested sources that would be a good place (beyond the Mary Rose books) to start mining for info on this topic...

      Thanks -  Chas.
    • Show all 9 messages in this topic