6106Re: Board feet

  • Jared
    Apr 8 10:40 PM
      --Eirikr
      It's more that you inspired me to voice my opinion on the topic
      than that I am saying you were wrong. Very seldom is anyone, or any
      statement 100% right or wrong. Im not sure that you even need to
      stand to be corrected, since you show no ignorance whatsoever.
      Jared

      - In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Eric" <ewdysar@...> wrote:

      > Jared,
      >
      > Your point is well taken. I did make the assumption that if they
      > were milling green oak for sale, that they would have done similar
      > milling before, and also assumed that thay would have used the
      > material for their own purposes before and would be familiar with
      > the appropriate techniques, not genetically imprinted, but gained
      > though acquired experience.
      >
      > So, this is a good reminder to discuss people's experience with your
      > specific project in mind when considering getting help, paid or
      > not. One's perceived reputation or skill won't necessarily help
      > when deep in a project, past work and/or references are probably
      > more reliable.
      >
      > Standing corrected from positive prejudice,
      > Eirikr
      >
      > --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "Jared" <tudweber_jr@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > "If the woodworkers that are supplying the wood will also be
      > > participating in the build, you should have nothing to worry about.
      > > They've probably got more experience working with the lumber that
      > > you're ordering than anyone else you could find in this country.
      > > Though your building may look different than their typical work,
      > let
      > > them have free run on the techniques of the frame, they should be
      > > masters on this task compared to the combined experience from this
      > > board (no insult intended to anyone here)."
      > >

      > > Not that I am any expert on timberframe, but my next door
      > > neighbors are amish, and of course build thier own houses with larg
      > > groups of men very quickly. But they use milled 2x4s just like the
      > > rest of us,....
      > > Certainly a higher percentage of them have knowledge in carpentry
      > and
      > > cabnitry, than the rest of the general public, but To assume that
      > all
      > > are born with the talent to be a craftsman, is no more intelligent
      > > than any other stereotype you can think of.
      > >
      > > I hope I have put this well enough to assure that that this is
      > not
      > > a view of prejudice in any way, and I dont intend to offend anyone,
      > > just present a logical view on the topic.
      > > Jared

    • Show all 23 messages in this topic