5405Re: [MedievalSawdust] lamination bending arches

  • Tim Bray
    Jan 3, 2006
      Polyurethane glue (such as Gorilla Glue) is the only thing I can think of that might work on green wood.  It cures by reaction with moisture, which will certainly be abundant.

      Nothing else that I can think of would have a chance.

      The way you bend dry wood is to steam it first.  Many publications, and probably several Web sites, describe this technique.  You steam the wood, then form it (quickly, while it's hot), let it cool and dry.   This can be done even with big stuff; timber-framers have done it successfully.  No gluing required.

      The other option is to bend your green wood and let it dry while attached to the form.  Slow, but sure.

      At 02:53 PM 1/3/2006 -0800, you wrote:
      Has anyone ever successfully glued green oak? I am making 8 foot half arches (gothic) on a form in glue lamination.  The green oak I am using is free and bends easily without steaming, unfortunatly green would can not be bonded with wood glue, at all.  When liquid nails also failed to do a decent job, I was surprised, I may try numerous fasteners next, drywall screws and a lot of pin nails, I would rather not use dry wood, it bends a lot harder with more springback.  Cant help but think there is an adhesive that would work.