5402Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: lamination bending arches

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    Jan 3, 2006
      One thing nice about slabs that come off the sawmill is that you have a lot
      to choose from. Yes I try to put as many knots and defects into the throw
      away part of the log.

      Also with green wood you may be able to bend the full thickness wood you
      need and eliminate the glue all together.

      James Cunningham

      The added
      > problem is that the wood is cull boards that I get in bundles of slabs
      > for firewood,(thats why its free) so it is of such poor quality, that
      > while it will make the bend green, it would probably break if you
      > attempted to bend it dry, due to knots and excessive grain runout.
      > Looks like I may have to be really patient with this one,
      > Thanks
      > Jared
      > -
      > In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, "James W. Pratt, Jr."
      > <cunning@f...> wrote:
      > >
      > > How thick is the oak? What you might try is put the boards in the
      > form and let them dry there. After they have dried you should be able
      > to glue them.
      > >
      > > James Cunningham

    • Show all 8 messages in this topic