      From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto:medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com]On Behalf Of Craig Robert Pierpont
      Sent: Monday, November 07, 2005 11:21 AM
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Cleaning up endgrain

      Laurence,
          Use a sharp low angled block plans set to take a very fine cut.
          The grain will split when the cut runs off the edge of the board so you will have to work from both ends of your board toward the center or cut a small chamfer on the corner toward which the plane is going before planing the end grain.
          It may be helpful to make narrow cuts working across the end of the board from one side to the other.
          Your first cuts will be hit and miss but once you are below the rough stuff, you should be able to take a cut that will leave the surface almost shiny.
          The way you handle the plane will be quite a bit different from normal edge planing. If you don't have somebody to show you, you'll just have to work at till you get it. You'll get it.

      Craig Robert
      Lord Craig Robert le Luthier de Pierrepont OVO CAR
      Apprentice to Dame Alysea of Ashley

       Date: Sun, 06 Nov 2005 18:11:37 -0000
         From: "lawrence_djd" <teffendar@...>
      Subject: Cleaning up endgrain

      I've been working on a few projects in the past week, and run into the
      same problem on all of them.  I spend more than half of my time on a
      given project trying to clean up endgrain.  I'm trying to work only
      with tools I can document to the 15th century, which means that the
      only things I have found useful for this task are chisels and files.
      Does anyone have any suggestions as to ways I could make this task
      easier without using OOP methods?

      Laurence of Skraengham
      Baronial College of Tor Aerie
      Kingdom on Northshield