    Jan 1, 2003
      > I was thinking that it holds a file
      > for turning up a hand saw before you
      > file the individual teeth.

      oops.... still asleep...

      make that true-ing up ( or jointing )

      from 'Old Ways of Working Wood'
      Alex W. Bealer

      First of all, the saw blade must be top-jointed, joint
      refer-ring to the evenness of the points along a
      straight line from handle to end of blade. This is
      done with a flat mill or mill bastard file held in an
      easily made block which consists of two narrow boards,
      about a foot long, nailed together along their edges
      to form a right angle. The file is placed flat on the
      inside surface of one board then the block is reversed
      so that the file rests flatly on the saw points and
      the other board in the block serves as a fence to keep
      the file horizontal. Jointing is done by merely
      running the file along the length of the blade, with
      down-ward pressure deriving only from the weight of
      file and block, until all teeth are of the same
      length.

      =====

      http://mailplus.yahoo.com
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic