295Re: [medievalsawdust] What was I thinking?

  • jrwinkler@msn.com
    Dec 23, 2002
      Avery wrote:

      >> Safety rules I was not following - Pretty much all the
      others.
      >> What I was thinking - .
      Well… so far I've done more damage to myself with hand tools (ya' know its WAY past the time to sharpen your chisels after you've extracted it from your body…) and hot metals that with power tools… although I've had a near miss or two with my bandsaw (… oh, and then there was that incident with the chainsaw… but somehow I don't think that really counts… I wasn't actually in my shop at the time…)  We all need reminders now and again and this was sure a "wake up and smell the coffee" one for me…

      Featherboards are your friend.  Avery and I had a conversation about his "oops" not long after the incident (if I recall correctly the paper towel wrap hadn't quite come off yet and the router bit hadn't been cleaned to reduce the corrosive effects of blood)…  So are pusher sticks, etc.   Avery can also tell ya' a great story about table saw kickbacks.  (No blood involved in this one if I recall correctly.)

      We also have another good friend who had the startling experience of watching one half of a board he was ripping on his table saw get kicked back across the shop and actually go THROUGH the garage door…   ummm… I should mention that the garage door was closed at the time…

      Glad to hear that ya' still have all yer' fingers and toes, dude…  and thanks for posting the tip…