2876RE: [MedievalSawdust] Newbie

  • kjworz@comcast.net
    Sep 2, 2004

      Some speculation on why it wasn't seen before 1690, using my alter ego from 800 years ago.

      Too gadgetty.  When you have a table why do you need to make a complicated table?  This plank table with 4 legs works just fine, it's solid <smack> and simple and holds the crockery up off the floor.  Sure that fance table has some use to me as "Generic Medieval Man".  The stow-away-and-make-more-room feature is nice.  Now that I've seen one I want one in my 13th C home.  But if I had never seen one and the need is not so pressing that I feel I am missing out.  If I need room I can always just haul this regular table outside.  A little rain won't hurt it.  Heck I don't even have a Brace to drill holes yet in the 13th C, but my T handled auger does just fine.  It's not that a hand crank is beyond my technology, I just haven't thought it up, really.

      --
      -Chris Schwartz
      Silver Spring, MD

      > Colleagues,
      > I have a question I would like to open for casual discussion. Are you
      > all familiar with the gate-leg table?
      > http://www.americanfurnituredsgn.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&S
      > tore_Code=AFD&Product_Code=148 shows one design.
      >
      > Briefly, the gate-leg table is a folding table, typically assembled with
      > two hinged leaves, one on either end, joined to a small, central leaf.
      > Properly designed, these tables can be built such that a table eight
      > feet long and three feet wide folds into a central unit four feet long,
      > three feet wide, and a foot or so thick.
      >
      > Very handy for SCA use, yes? One unit, relatively light and compact.
      >
      > Trouble is, they're just not period. The earliest one I've seen is from
      > 1690.
      >
      > The joinery, hardware, and construction technology are all quite period
      > for Renaissance Italy, Moorish Spain, Elizabethan, and even Tudor
      > joiners.
      >
      > Would anyone care to speculate why they didn't show up until the
      > Colonial era?
      >
      > Will

    • Show all 30 messages in this topic