      Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 5:07 PM
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tool for round tenons?

      Of course..  one way to point dowels on a lathe is to buy a fairly expensive 'pattern follower'...  or copy set.  You could make consistant round tenons that way...  expensive... by consistant...  then again... ya' could learn to turn REALLY WELL...

      Sent: Thursday, July 01, 2004 9:17 AM

      > The tool is called a stail engine or rounder plane

      Thanks for the tip.  I've seen rounder planes, but all were hand
      cranked.

      > Of course these solutions assume that the tenon is the same size as
      > the rail, producing straight grained round cross sections.

      Here in Ohio, we call that a dowel.  ;)

      Ulrich