2478Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Lee Valley & Hinge Help

  • James W. Pratt, Jr.
    May 27 10:08 PM
      The metal has to be hot enough to burn the oil/wax off. I have heard it
      called a burn umber finish.
      I use watco oil and a propane torch to burn the oil off. I use it on the
      foot sirups on my crossbows. I have use linseed oil on red hot metal makes a
      nice brown rust preventing coating.

      James Cunningham

      > I then rubbed beeswax into them. It is ok, but not what I was
      > expecting. Did you mean oil first, then wax? or blend oil & wax &
      > then coat (can't figure out how you'd blend them safely).

    • Show all 16 messages in this topic