2476Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Lee Valley & Hinge Help

  • Tim Bray
    May 27, 2004
      >Do you bend the hinges 90 degrees at a point even with the thickness
      >of the top of the box above the hinge pin?

      Sometimes, not always. I don't think it looks too funky to leave the
      knuckle flush with the top, but with thicker lids this can cause trouble
      opening and closing. Helps to shim the lid about 1/8" or so above the back
      when mounting the hinge - that little gap makes it open and close better.

      >Essentially so the hinge
      >strap wraps around the back of the top and over the top?

      That's a feature on some period chests. On others, the strap is set on the
      under side of the lid, which places the knuckle in the proper position.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works
      Furniture and Accessories