2475Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Lee Valley & Hinge Help

  • Tim Bray
    May 27, 2004
      >ok, I got the rust off with no problem, but I'm not satisfied with my
      >bluing. I used a propane torch and there are some rainbows (some reds
      >& yellows along with the blue). Can you point me to bluing for dummies?

      Hmmm, I don't usually get reds and yellows. Sometimes a brownish-bronze
      effect, but usually a dark blue-black. Maybe the steel wasn't quite clean
      enough? Did you use a wire wheel, or maybe a Scotch-Brite? You need to
      get the steel nice and shiny. It doesn't take a lot of heat, I use a
      propane torch myself. But if there is any oil or grease or oxidation on
      the steel, it won't work properly.

      >I then rubbed beeswax into them. It is ok, but not what I was
      >expecting. Did you mean oil first, then wax? or blend oil & wax &
      >then coat (can't figure out how you'd blend them safely).

      What I use is a mix of oil and beeswax. You melt the wax in a double
      boiler, turn off the heat and add linseed oil, about 1:1. The formula I
      use is actually a wood finish and has turpentine also, but you don't need
      or want that for this application. The steel should be hot enough that the
      oil will smoke, but not so hot that it will burst into flame. Definitely
      do this outside, the smoking oil stinks, and of course take all precautions
      against fire.

      Cheers,
      Colin

      Albion Works