16247Re: [MedievalSawdust] Coopering

  • bsrlee
    May 23, 2014
      You can find some basic information along with video of the tools in operation in various episodes of 'The Woodwright's Shop'. More recent episodes (from 2006 to 2014) are available on-line at:

      http://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/home/

      Roy is also having all the seasons of his show made up into DVD's in association with Popular Woodworking magazine, which you can get at their shop at:

      http://www.shopwoodworking.com/

      usually they have several seasons (out of 25 so far) for 25% off rrp, so its usually better to buy them there rather than Amazon.

      You will probably be having to make your own standing coopers plane if you want to do Living History demonstrations, otherwise you could make one by inletting an older iron plane into a five or six foot 4x4 or 6x6 and putting two legs at one end (or a jointer plane upside down in a vise with a wooden jig to hold the boards at the right angle). Again, unless you are lucky, you will have to make your own round plane and croze for finishing the inside of the ends and cutting the groove for the end to sit into respectively (a power router jig, a straight cutter and a slotting cutter can get you started). If you want the inside of the barrel to be 'nice' then you will also want a couple of spokeshaves and/or drawknives - a straight one for the outside and a curved one for the inside of the staves - there are many modern manufacturers of suitable drawknives/spokeshaves such as Lie-Neilson, Barr Tools and Lee Valley if you don't want to go around the flea markets & tool shows and re-make your own.

      I'd suggest starting out 'simple' and making some straight sided buckets - you only need a longish plane for the most basic buckets, add a spokeshave/drawknife to make the outside nicer by shaving the staves. If it doesn't hold water it will still be useful for holding gear, filling with sand as a fire bucket or holding food such as fruit. Several people have posted on the Medieval Encampments list that barrels and buckets do not stay water tight when only used for a few days each year, so if you want really water tight buckets and barrels you are likely to have the most success with using glue and a slightly flexible sealer such as 'brewers pitch' (Jas. Townsend at http://jas-townsend.com/ sells it) or one of the polyurethane water tank sealers.

      Coopering has only been in my 'round tuit' basket for 30-ish years, so one day......................

      regards
      Brusi of Okney
      Rowany/Lochac

      On 24-May-14 2:51 AM, James Kotsonis jimkknives@... [medievalsawdust] wrote:
      Dear Group,

      I am interested in traditional coopering.  I have not made anything yet, I am gathering information at this point.  Can any of you direct me to where I might need to go or to get information on medieval coopering?

      James

    • Show all 14 messages in this topic