16244Re: [MedievalSawdust] Coopering

  • Julian Wilson
    May 23, 2014
    You could try the English Heritage Site Manager at Dover Castle. When English Heritage recently spent GB£millions in re-creating the medieval interiors of the Time of king Henry II, in the Great Tower there, they found themselves a Cooper who made barrels for them, bound together by withys instead of metal hoops, - lots of them, - for the outfitting of the medieval Kitchens. They might be willing to share the contact information with you. Whether those barrels and casks are actually liquid-tight is debatable, since no Cooper in the Western World has needed to make casks bound by withys instead of iron hoops for centuries. The barrels may have been constructed simply to look good for the English Heritage display. If I thought that the List would allow me to post a picture or two of the Great Tower's reconstructed kitchens [taken on my own visit there in 2011], I'd do so, - "a picture being worth a 1000 words". [ I'll try anyway, but if nothing shows up  for recipients, don't blame me - it will be the System refusing the jpg.'s]  I've had a look online via a Yahoo images search, but although there are a few pics of parts of the reconstructed kitchens, there are none showing those barrels.
    Julian Wilson,
     from "Old Jersey", 15 miles off the French Coast.

    On Friday, 23 May 2014, 17:51, "James Kotsonis jimkknives@... [medievalsawdust]" <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

    Dear Group,

    I am interested in traditional coopering.  I have not made anything yet, I am gathering information at this point.  Can any of you direct me to where I might need to go or to get information on medieval coopering?

    James

  • Show all 14 messages in this topic