16218Re: [MedievalSawdust] piercers and wimbling irons

  • Lynda Fjellman
    Mar 24, 2014
      Master Grendal of Red Troll Forge in Vancouver WA probably can make up whatever you want.  I know he has made spoon bits and adzes, as well as ornamental ironwork and other stuff.  You will have to contact him for pricing and stuff.

      http://www.redtrollforge.com/

      Ilariav

      On Monday, March 24, 2014 7:57 AM, Baron Valerian of Somerset <lord_valerian@...> wrote:

      That should work.  When I'm turning, I often use a spindle gouge to drill a clearance hole for end grain pieces, rather than taking the time to switch to a drill.  Works fine.  Never tried it off the lathe, but should still work the same when turning the tool, rather than the work.

      -Valerian

      On Mar 24, 2014, at 10:23 AM, kaisaerpren@... wrote:

      Hi all;
      I have been puzzling ("he puzzled and puzzed until his puzzler was sore") for some time about how to simulate historic examples of small wood boring implements.
      I have  two 19th century gimlets that are nearly Identical to 15th and 16th century ones, so I'm good to go there.
      i also have a nice set of new spoon bits made to go in a 19th century style chuck. I could permanently mount one or two in wooden braces. (4 of them , they go from 1/4 to 5/8 +-.  I'd like to find 1" and 1 1/2" spoons, not right now.)
      It's the shell augers I can't get/find. You know the ones that are like a long half cylinder sharpened sort of rounded at it's tip. Very like a spoon bit that has been sharpened so many times it's "spoon" tip part is gone. in sizes smaller than 1/4".
      Every "blacksmith" in the SCA seems to want to make either only knives or only armor. maybe I find one who occasionally makes throwing axes.
      well i'm looking through my copy of "manual of traditional wood carving" by Paul Hasluck. haven't cracked it open in years, and I think I've found my answer. there is a photo of someone using a small deep gouge to drill holes for pierced work.
      tell me if I'm crazy! I take a small deep gouge, reshape the tip to cut right on deeper holes, and replace the handle with a medieval looking brace stock! viola!
      be well