      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: nelsonhaynes@...
      Date: Mon, 3 Mar 2014 09:40:58 -0500
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Re: Bacteria filter properties of wood

      This is an interesting subject.
      As all woodworking Laurel and a retired public health worker I truly like wood.
      I feel that cutting boards made of wood can be very safe if properly maintained and cleaned.
      I wouldn't trust a wood water filter for human consumption until it was thoroughly tested in real life conditions.
      One of the things that worry me the most about publicly announced studies like this is that many times the studies are commissioned by industry associations that are biased towards their own profits.
      Any time you read one of these studies you should also of look and see who paid for the study.
      If the study was paid by a biased group you should look at the results very carefully.
      Master Nigel

      In a message dated 3/1/2014 5:18:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time, IAmBroom@... writes:

      > I think they are talking a a totally different thing here. They were
      > talking about using a slice of wood to filter bacteria from water, like
      > a tea strainer to removes chunks of tea from tea. The process does not
      > kill the bacteria, it just removes it.

      Indeed, Master Gerald - the OP confused cutting board sanitation with water filtration; two completely different issues.

      On cutting boards:
      To my knowledge the mechanism by which wooden cutting boards prevent bacterial reproduction has never been proven, although I personally subscribe to your hypothesis. If it has been established, I'd love to see a link to the research.

      On heartwood filters:
      One part of the article troubled me, but it's probably just typically bad science reporting:

      "The tree technology isn't perfect, researchers acknowledged. The sapwood was only able to filter out particles 70 nanometers and larger. That works fine for stopping bacteria, the vast majority of which are no smaller than 200 nanometers. Viruses, on the other hand, are much, much smaller, Karnik said, and would likely be able to bypass the wood filter.

      I've never heard of a water filtration system (designed for human water consumption, not lab use) that /does/ filter out viruses. 70 nanometers is an AMAZING filter level - it even blocks giardia spores, among the tiniest of tiny little bastards that can ruin camping trips.

      It's like complaining that "cars aren't perfect, because they be driven into elevators." Um, duh.

      I wonder how thick of a piece is required - because thickness = resistance to flow. Paper-thin (tubes a few dozen cells long) would mean a fairly reasonable flow - you could expect to process a gallon or more overnight.

      ' |   Broom        IAmBroom @ gmail . com
      ' |   cellphone:             412-389-1997
      ' |   923 Haslage Ave, Pittsburgh, PA 15212
      '\|/  "Discere et docere", which means:
      '/|\  "A writer is someone for whom writing is more difficult than it is
      //|\\ for other people." - Thomas Mann

    • Show all 21 messages in this topic