16134Re: [MedievalSawdust] also new tools

  • Peter Ellison
    Jan 7, 2014
      I personally have struggled with saw documentation.  They are unlikely to have survived being a simple tool that is not "pretty".  Woodcuts and paintings will not likely show enough detail.

      The Mary Rose find did not have any frame saws (something that the author of the section noted as interesting).

      The Book of Trades shows a frame saw on the Joiners page that looks like it came from Grammercy :-)  But it is hard to tell if that is a turning saw because he is using it to cut a straight line.

      Personally I think that the fastener that Grammercy used would be very similar, except for the metal I'd guess it would be forged iron and not lathe turned.  To function it does not need to be perfectly round to work.  You can also make that out of wood and it will also work, although not likely to last as long as metal.

      I can't recall were I saw the 1700's turning saw, but it had the same method of holding the blade.

      Peter Petrovitch.

      On Tue, Jan 7, 2014 at 1:58 PM, Hall, Hayward <hallh@...> wrote:

      How were they fixed medievally?