16111Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tenon Saw Project

  • Julian Wilson
    Nov 2, 2013
      Saw Sharpening? I learned how to do this over 60 years ago as an apprentice.
      However, - while I don't know the comparative costs in the USA or other places outside  the UK, - in the Island where I live, the cost of having a saw professionally resharpened -  [a service to the public is provided by the workshops of the local Builders' Merchant Joinery shop which is only 10minutes drive from my Workshop] - is greater than the cost of buying a new JetCut saw.
      About the only things I  resharpen personally these days are my chisels, and my hand-plane blades. I send my power planer blades and circ. saw /band-saw blades out for professional resharpening because my neighbours - who give me about 90% of the work for my shop - have a Contract with the Sharpening Workshop - and since those blades wear blunt on their work, they are happy to charge-off my resharpening and hand-saw-replacement costs against their Site Overheads.
      Matthewe Baker

      On Saturday, 2 November 2013, 11:17, Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie <ishiyama@...> wrote:

      conradh@... wrote:
      > In the old days, every woodworker sharpened their own,

      A master never sharpens tools.

      That's what apprentices are for! =^)

      In the Japanese tradition, saw sharpening was even its
      own specialty profession. Why do it yourself when you
      can have it done by somebody who does it every day,
      all day?

      Sadly, this profession is mostly defunct. One of my
      teachers says that the last time he took a saw to the
      sharpener, the old man had retired and the son had
      taken over the shop. The saw sharpened by the son did
      not cut straight, so my teacher never went back.

      --
      THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. Evans)

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic