16110Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tenon Saw Project

  • Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
    Nov 2, 2013
      conradh@... wrote:
      > In the old days, every woodworker sharpened their own,

      A master never sharpens tools.

      That's what apprentices are for! =^)

      In the Japanese tradition, saw sharpening was even its
      own specialty profession. Why do it yourself when you
      can have it done by somebody who does it every day,
      all day?

      Sadly, this profession is mostly defunct. One of my
      teachers says that the last time he took a saw to the
      sharpener, the old man had retired and the son had
      taken over the shop. The saw sharpened by the son did
      not cut straight, so my teacher never went back.

      --
      THL Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      (mka: Elliott C. Evans)