      From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto:medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Jerry Harder
      Sent: Tuesday, October 22, 2013 4:06 AM
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Tenon Saw Project

      One more thing about medieval tools (any new tool for that matter) is they may take some getting used to.  - you are skilled with the design you have been using but not with the new one. Give them a chance.  I made a medieval blacksmithing hammer.  -Took me a week.  It felt awkward and horrible at first.  But by god it was MY hammer, and was going to use it!  15 hours later I was doing stuff I couldn't do with a regular hammer.  What a pleasant surprise!  Since I have made a heavier one and want one that's in between.  Had I not worked through the weardness of how this hammer felt, I never would have discovered its "abilities"

      On 10/21/2013 7:35 PM, Peter Ellison wrote:

      I'm close to out growing my backsaw that I bought from a home center several years ago for $20.  After a number of projects, a few broken teeth it really needs to either be sharpened or replaced.  There is an excellent video by the dude from SawWright.com Matt Cianci on making one.  I'm pretty sure that I can follow the directions and make one.

      I'm tormented by two forces:

      One demon says "use only document-able tools" if you are going to the effort to make a tool you might as well make it a contemporary of the project.  I have been making late 1500s stools so make one with that looks like those.

      The other demon says "brass backed saws are sooo shiny, it will perform better than the period shaped one there is a reason that people stopped doing it that way."  Also there is a missing gap in the time line so maybe none have survived that is a good enough justification.  I would likely make one from the 1800s with a closed handle.

      A brief history of backsaws:

      I will be making it out of modern steel with a blank that some one put the teeth into and I sharpen and set it after that.

      Any suggestions ?  Has anyone used the older shapes ?

      Which demon speaks loudest to your ears ?

      Peter

    • Show all 15 messages in this topic