16036RE: Holdfasts

  • gloerke
    Sep 25, 2013
      You are looking at the same thing, it is only a rotten image to look at.
      I have uploaded 2 photos in the photo section , folder Thpomasguild.they are called holdfast and img. The first shows you where to look - the holdfast is made red. The second is a high resolution rescan of the part of the image with the holdfast (but still a rotten picture).

      regards, marijn

      ---In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <sean14powell@...> wrote:

      Sorry, but I'm confused and not certain if I'm looking at the right picture. I'm used to holdfasts that look like this:

      I see what looks like a wedge on the side of the plank being planed. I see a notch in the end of the bench that would be useful for cutting into the endgrain. I don't see a thin grey line in the photo. What am I missing? Am I even looking at the right photo? Of a man with a long 2-handled plan but only holding the rear handle and a spot near the blade?

      Thanks in advance,
      Sean

      On Tue, Sep 24, 2013 at 2:32 PM, <gloerke@...> wrote:

      Well, there is a medieval holdfast to see on my blog, but it is very hard to see.

      use this link http://thomasguild.blogspot.nl/2012/12/the-medieval-toolchest-plane-part-15.html

      the intarsia by Agustino de Marchi (1468-1477) shows a workbench. On the left side before the legs start is a holdfast in/through the bench. It can be seen as a thin light grey line on the photo. I am sorry I do not have a better quality image of this. (You should go to Italy and take photos of the intarsia for all of us ;)

      Marijn

      ---In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <lyndafjellman@...> wrote:

      > Does anyone have an illustration of a medieval holdfast? I was sure I did
      > but looking back all I see are bench stops.
      >
      > Guillaume

      The pics up here aren't precisely holdfasts, but they are methods of holding wood to a bench.  They are all before 1650 as well.
      Ilaria
      pardon if someone already posted this link, I didn't notice.

    • Show all 13 messages in this topic