16012RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: Adventures in oak

  • conradh@...
    Sep 13, 2013
      > So when you split it and plane it down while still 'wet', how much
      > checking/cracking happens on the end? I would assume less than with a
      > log.
      >
      > Guillaume

      I'm not Peter, but I find that I prefer to split the green wood down to
      slabs, billets or whatever as soon as I can. This really helps with the
      checking problems. A lot of the cracks I see in whole logs seem to be the
      outer layers shrinking over a heart that hasn't dried and shrunk as much
      yet. Split the pieces down far enough and there's a lot less chance of
      that. (They also dry more quickly, and you have less worry about rot.)

      However, I don't generally go as far as a plane with them. Your blanks may
      warp or wind as they dry; if those are minor it can be easy to plane them
      out. Finishing green wood can leave you with that work to do over, and
      possibly an undersize piece. Generally it's hewing hatchet and froe and
      wedges and sometimes a drawknife for the green stock, and then I put the
      oversize blank away to dry for a year or three.

      Ulfhedinn
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic