16010RE: [MedievalSawdust] RE: Adventures in oak

  • Hall, Hayward
    Sep 12, 2013

      So when you split it and plane it down while still ‘wet’, how much checking/cracking happens on the end?  I would assume less than with a log.

      From: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com [mailto:medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Peter Ellison
      Sent: Thursday, September 12, 2013 12:40 PM
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] RE: Adventures in oak

      Roughly 28" or so.  I think the tree was on a hill when it grew so it is not exactly round, but then again beggars can't be choosers.

      The pith of the tree is pretty crooked, so in general the middle couple of inches are a loss.

      The outside inch needs to be trimmed off also.

      To make a stool I look for parts in the order of, seat, legs, the top stiles, then the bottom runners.

      If you are thinking of trying this project my suggestion is "just do it" the worst case is that you have a lot of fire wood :-)

      On Thu, Sep 12, 2013 at 10:03 AM, <james.harvey.davis@...> wrote:

      That's awesome.  You never know when someone says they have a tree.

      What's the diameter on the trunk?

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Commenting the I did not have a source for green oak while teaching a class one of the gentles said, if you come down and collect it the tree is yours.

      It would be a nervous couple of weeks wondering what I had gotten myself into.  Sight unseen a "large oak" would be mine for the chopping, splitting ...

      Well hopped into the car and headed south a couple of hours to down to an address that was noted in mapquest "some parts are not paved" ... I arrived.

      The first attempt was a "small limb" about 8 inches in diameter.  It split wonderfully, at that point the kind gentle lopped off a section of the main trunk about three feet long and about twenty eight inches in diameter.

      It was an effort to roll into the shade to start the splitting process.

      Once I got the hang of it, I need to "worry" the first split across the tree so that I can control the split.

      Three sections later I have more than enough for a stool.

      I was a little worried that it would be "too dry" as the tree was downed in April.

      That was not a problem, the sections are sopping wet.

      Tonight I could not resist the urge and I pulled out a small section, split it down, planed it and now have a usable piece of board ...

      Now I need to finish the second pine stool, but it was a very satisfying diversion, taking controllable 1/16" thick by inch wide shavings off with my plane.

      I'm going to need to make a couple of trips down again to finish up the harvest, but it should be good more wood that I can handle for a long time.

      Peter Petrovitch.

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic