15997RE: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Milk paint

  • gerlachwiesengrund
    Sep 11, 2013

      You can also use artist pigments mixed into a oil or wiping varnish finish.  It's a technique that is definitely used in the 17th century, but I don't have any proof for 16th century.

      I used it on a stool and it works fine, but is very messy.

      Ezekiel/Gerlach

      --- In medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com, <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      I believe that the earliest paint 'recipie' that we have a record of is for egg tempera, in one of more of the Rennaisance 'how to' texts. Milk paint as we know it first appears as a 'recipie' in the 19th Century.

      However, there is ample evidence of paint being used on wood as well as other materials from Classical (Greek & Roman) times both in the form of contemporary art (frecoes, illumination) and as traces on surviving furnishings.

      What we sorely lack is accurate knowledge of the binders that held the pigments to the surviving objects. In general terms the 'surviving' material has such small traces of pigment that they are only just detectable with the latest high tech scanning whatnames developed in the last decade or so, and the pigments that they are finding all seem to be mineral derived and thus not readily susceptable to decay, as opposed to their presumed animal or vegetable derived binders. The state-of-the-art in archeology has been advancing rapidly as far as delecting and analysing tiny traces of organic remains goes - they are getting to the point where they can identify multiple fillings in recycled amphorae for instance - so one day, hopefully soon, we may yet get some idea of what was used to stick things together.

      And of course there is always the chance that someone will find either a textural fragment or even a securely dateable item with enough paint to support analysis - after all, a decade ago we had no real idea how the Romans fitted their helmet linings, and now we have a surviving sample of the glue, still sticky under the lining, insitu inside a helmet.

      regards
      Brusi of Orkney
      Rowany/Lochac

      On 11-Sep-13 4:20 PM, Jerry Harder wrote:
      So is milk paint period?  Can anyone document a period milk paint recipe or artifact that uses it?

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic