      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: lhjw66576@...
      Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 18:59:31 +0100
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] replica antique box locks

      Thank you, Mr. Young.
      Most of my clients so far, for medievally-themed chests and coffers - have wanted to pass the "3-Foot Rule" but haven't demanded absolute historical-replica accuracy.
      I have found quite a large selection of "blackwork" hinges, corner protections, and strapwork available off-the-shelf; - and if I had to do so, I could even make them myself though it's not a Craft I have much reason to exercise.
      But chest locks which will pass the 3-Foot Rule - even with modern mechanisms inside or behind a period case/faceplate - none of the Manufacurers from whom I could by a wide range of such period hinges /strapwork - also offer the extra lock-accessory in their online Catalogues. And no-one seems to offer any replica-"period" padlocks dating to before 1600AD. I've spent hours searching online without positive results - or I wouldn't be asking the question in this Forum.
      I'm grateful for your early response, naytheless.
      Matthewe