15934RE: [MedievalSawdust] replica antique box locks

  • D. Young
    Aug 24, 2013
      Its very important to note that the hardware: nails, hinges, straps, and lock.....represent a tremendous amount of time that we dont often account for.....particularly as some of these things are custom oriented to the size of the box.

      So...want accuracy....might have to pay for it.

      Rather like using wide oak lumber vs 2.5 inch oak flooring....

      food for thought.   Accuracy = time= more money= investment

           Custom Commissions Welcome....!

      www.partsandtechnical.com

      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      From: lhjw66576@...
      Date: Sat, 24 Aug 2013 14:21:09 +0100
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] replica antique box locks

      Gentles all,
       I've come late to this discussion, having just spent the last two weeks away from my PC,  - instead camping late-15th century-style at Raglan Castle in S. Wales.

      I'm a Master Carpenter & Joiner.
      I've occasionally made replica-medieval chests and coffers for Re-enactors as a pleasant and challenging change from my usual commercial housing-fit-out work.
      I've eventually been able to find Manufacturers who produce replica-mediveal strapwork, hinges, and handles for such chests. [I've even found a UK source for rosehead cut nails to use in fixing such ironwork].
      But so far I've been unable to find any manufacturing locksmith  who offers replica-appearance* chest and coffer box-locks and padlocks. [*By this I mean that the exposed exteriors - hasps, staples, and padlocks; - hasps and/or only faceplates,  -  of such locks should look vaguely medieval, but the "works" can be modern.]
       So if anyone can send me contact details for such a niche-market  Manufacturing Locksmith - or even their Retail Sales Agents, I'll be very grateful.
       Matthewe

    • Show all 24 messages in this topic