15877Re: [MedievalSawdust] back to classes

  • Jerry Harder
    Aug 13, 2013
      Yes!  I agree and maybe you can teach a couple connected ones in an hour or an hour an a half.  (Say: how to sharpen plane and chisels blades)  You need to narrow your topic down and teach it thoroughly so that a beginner can understand and that Laurel (who thinks he knows everything) can both learn something, maybe even despite themselves.  I think you already realize "how to sharpen anything" is equal to "how to sharpen ---------(blank)" which is what I think you meant, which is very different than "how to sharpen everything"  So how to sharpen plane blades and chisels might be one class.  How to sharpen saws might be another. and types of teeth and saws yet another.  I,(as a smith) would love to see a class on tuning planes and the different edge angles and the different blade angles and what they are for and how different molding planes are made.  That may be several classes on just one tool.  All are badly needed and all you can do is start teaching them.  If they are good classes you will gain a repitation for them and people will evettually come.  Develope a list of classes as you go and mix them up so you don't get board and you reach more students in different venues that way.

      On 8/11/2013 7:41 AM, Karl Newman wrote:

      Thanks; I am finding talking to /working with Laurels far less daunting than the occasional neophyte who doesn't want to learn from me because I am not a Laurel. oddly (or maybe not) laurels who want to learn a new skill are willing to acknowledge that a non laurel might know what they want to learn. Some Neo's only want to learn from a Master. I just need to learn how to reach those people too.
      Perhaps it coincides with the fact that the more most people know, the more they realise that they actually know very little.

      I hear a lot of "you can't teach all that in one hour".

      but I think that I can.
      how to sharpen anything Can be taught in an hour. How to adjust a wood body plane Can be gone over in an hour. how to Use that pane can be reviewed and tried in another hour. etc.
      Many of the skills that a woodworker uses are actually small and simple things. It is the total volume of little skills that go into making even the littlest/simplest of woodworking projects that is daunting to most persons.

      for instance, a spurtle, a simple wooden stick for stirring your porridge while it is cooking. you watch someone make one and it looks easy , you try and pinch your fingers and wreak the stick. there are at least 2 dozen separate simple skills going on there. sharpening the tool is one, how to introduce the tool to the spinning wood is another, how to balance on one foot while using the other to press down on the treadle is another, etc
      However a spurtle making workshop might not be feasible. you'd need to have a lathe for every student. yet a spurtle making demonstration might get people setting up their own lathes at home and having a lot of fun making spurtles for everyone they know.

      or a box of any kind; saws, chisels, hand planes, mallets, wood. requires an intimate understanding of all of these things to make a really good job of it.

      Well I ramble on here this morning.
      thanks and have good day.

      On Sun, Aug 11, 2013 at 2:52 AM, Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...> wrote:

      To Kasaerprin

      You sounds as if you have many skills which many of us (even many
      woodworkers) do not. You have seen a need. One of those "peer like
      qualitys" often spoken of is to now step up and fill the need. As you
      have just seen asking the question may spawn a great discussion but not
      get you the answer your looking for. Weather your a peer or not, The
      answer is to both questions is: You are the master of your skills and
      time. Seek to make your kingdom and the SCA a better more perfect time
      and place to be in. Share and increase your Skills, your generosity,
      Your courtesy, and your time. That is BEING a peer. BE a peer and
      some day you will be recognized as one. By your friends, by your fellow
      artisans, and the crown. You should develope those classes. Modify
      them as vinue require. Improve them Add to them and your teaching
      skills. Expect that you will have failures. Some yours, and some a
      result of the situation. Strive on, improve, forgive, and grow.

      Master Gerald Goodwine

    • Show all 3 messages in this topic