      From: Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...>
      To: medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Monday, 6 May 2013, 9:11
      Subject: Re: [MedievalSawdust] Woodworking Safety Day

      I modified my wood lathe to except a larger piece of wood/log than it was meant to.  Turned it on and the whole thing started  walking across the garage floor.   Undetoured, I pulled the plug, put a larger pulley on the motor and a smaller one on the spindle to slow in down, and piled the lower shelf full of anvils and concrete blocks.  This worked-well sort of.  The cheep "made in China" lathe tool I was using cought, bent, and caused my pinky to get sucked into the lathe.  That caused the permanent loss of a mouse sized bite of my left little finger.  I made new lathe tools on my forge out of 3/4 inch rebar and finished the job.  There's a lesson (maybe several) in there somewhere. Just say'in.

    • Show all 9 messages in this topic