15706Re: [MedievalSawdust] Period Lighting for tents - new pictures from Matthewe Baker

  • Jerry Harder
    May 1, 2013
      I found some lanterns like that, they even flicker like a real candle flame,  but they are horribly dim.  I can barely see a can of pencils a foot from them and were &9.?? each at Walmart.  Were yours any better?  Where did you get them.  They make just enough light that one could hang them by a doorway to mark it so you could walk between them but you could  not see enough to keep from tripping on an object on the floor.  I am going to experiment with tiki torch refills.  I am spray-painting them to look like candles.  Funny-the only thing I have ever painted where a sloppy runny paint job looks better than a nice one.  Runny paint looks like drippy candles.  I am hoping the tiki torch wont blow out and would make more light.

      On 4/30/2013 8:33 AM, Robert Capozello wrote:
      We actually made a pair of these for our common tent at Pennsic and they work very well (we also made wooden blocks for raising and lowering them, but we are crazy that way).  We actually found LED taper candles with internal timers which turn the candles off six hours after you turn them on, and then turn them on again 18 hours later.  We turn half the candles on at 7PM, the other half at 8PM.  The first set goes out at 1AM, the second set at 2AM, and then they turn on again at the same time the next night.  An easy way to tell when you have stayed up way too late telling NSTIW stories.  :-)

      -- Marcellus

      From: Julian Wilson <lhjw66576@...>
      To: Jerry Harder <geraldgoodwine@...>
      Cc: "medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com" <medievalsawdust@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:06 AM
      Subject: [MedievalSawdust] Period Lighting for tents - new pictures from Matthewe Baker [5 Attachments]

      Dear Jerry,
       all I did was to post pictures, a few of which I am attaching direct to you personally; - knowing that other Group members won't see them because the Group mailbox strips such attachments..
      And I owe you an apology - I posted those pics in Albums on the Medieval Encampments Yahoo Group, meaning to repost them for this group and forgot to do so.
      Incidentally,  - the orginal Illumination for the chandelier - that is only in ONE of the four surviving copies of the famous "Livre Des Tournois" - the one in Flanders, not the one in the National Bibliotheque de France! The Illuminations are slightly different in all four of the surviving copies when compared one with another; - informed opinion is that each copy was illuminated in a different Studio - or at the least by different Limners.
      That Flemish copy IS viewable online, and it's the last illumination in the Copy - titled  in translation - "Presenting The Prizes", but you won't get much more from looking at the online digitised pictures than you have gotten from Master Greydragon's posted copy, [copy attached from the online book] because the wooden  chandelier is only a tiny detail at the top of the picture, as you'll see.
      Best Wishes,
       Matthewe Baker

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic